• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Onion Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed55

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, we had an onion in the pantry that had started to sprout. Usually I would cut out the part and use the rest. But this time I got curious and put it in a pot with soil and let it grow.

So our guinea pig took notice to this onion plant when we would carry him by. So I said "ok pig" I cut off a piece of grass and put it in his hutch.

It's funny his reaction to it. He takes a few nibbles here and there, not really eating it, but he is pop-corning around it with excitement. It seems to have stimulated his appetite for the hay around it that he usually ignores? He is eating away more than usual at his timothy hay, etc and hopping around. Such a silly pig.

After some searching I realize onions are not recommended and controversial after doing some searching, the grass is less so might be safer. But anyhow it seems he has instinct to not go overboard with it.. but such a funny reaction!

Oh dear yes I would not feed it as it can be poisonous to piggies. You would be much better growing real grass for your piggy. I got a small box of grass seed from poundworld and currently have a propagator tray full and a small pot on the go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back