Only Put On 8g In 5 Days !help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee-Cee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our beloved Bubbles has only gained 8g since the 12th.
We have only had her 1 week

Her cage friends however have gained 30g and a whopping 59g

I have a few questions
  • How can I encourage weight gain?
  • Will removing Bubbles at feed time and hand feeding be the best option?
  • What is the best food to fatten her up?

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As long as she isnt loosing weight, or huge gains, try not to worry.
She is just steadying her pace. How old is she?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't worry yet - the first week is very difficult with all the changes and a full hierarchy sort-out.

What you can do to make sure that she is getting her fair share in the group:
- please have a bowl for each piggy plus one, so there is always an empty one if she is chased off (typical dominance behaviour); ideally you space them a bit apart
- serve any veg and pellets in smaller portions several times a day, so the greedy piggies can't hog it all. the ideal portion size means that everything can be eaten in one sitting.
- Please be aware that hay should make up to 80% of the food intake, so as long as you leave the piggies with plenty of hay in between meals, they should be fine. Make sure that access to the hay can't be blocked by just one piggy. Also have more than water bottle in different places, as well as a hidey per piggy.

All the best!

Cee-Cee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Her sister who she came with has gained 30g!?!

We have:
  • 5 hideys
  • 2 water bottles, one at either end on the cage
  • They have a bowl of veggies each twice per day (morning before work and again in the evening) 1 bowl goes to either end and one stays in the middle of the cage. I'm out at work between 8:30 and 5:30.
  • A fresh bowl of nuggets everyday
  • 2 huge handfuls of hay everyday, it's a hay manger so there is plenty of room for them all to get under/round

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The funny thing is she thinks she's boss lol
No wonder is she not putting on any weight - she's been a very busy girl! Don't worry about her; she'll settle down. The leader of my big group was one of the very smallest girls; she never put on lots of weight because she was so energetic.

SweetJo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Cookie is gaining weight much slower than Peanut. I guess piggies are like humans, they come in all different shapes and sizes! As long as Bubbles seems to be eating and enjoying life I guess it's ok :) Cookie zooms round her cage so I'm guessing she's keeping herself trim!

Status
Not open for further replies.