• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Open wounds biting

4harmony2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I recently had two of my boars neutered ,one has healed great but the other keeps chewing a his wound ,he has been back to the vet & is on anti-biotics they asked me to keep him from chewing it .Here lies the Problem i have tried using a sock ,also tubigrip (has been worn & washed so not too tight ) he soon wriggles out of them all .Has anyone else got an idea ?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I recently had two of my boars neutered ,one has healed great but the other keeps chewing a his wound ,he has been back to the vet & is on anti-biotics they asked me to keep him from chewing it .Here lies the Problem i have tried using a sock ,also tubigrip (has been worn & washed so not too tight ) he soon wriggles out of them all .Has anyone else got an idea ?
Can you get a bandage and use that? Unfortunately that area is very difficult to keep a piggy from getting at.
If they keep gnawing on an operation wound, there is generally an unresolved major pain/discomfort aspect or the area is not healing for some reason. Has your vet checked for a potential abscess?

Neutering operations: Considerations, post-op care and a successful recovery example

Maryjames

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I suppose as a last resort you could try a cone? They do have them for guinea pigs but it's not ideal. They would have to be closely watched.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Yes Metacam he's back to vet friday but as a few more days off i want to help him know x
What is your boy weighing, what kind of dosage and strength is he on (cat or dog)? How piggy savvy is your vet?
General vets often presribe very low dosages scaling down from a cat and not accounting for the fact that guinea pigs have a much faster metabolism and a much better tolerance for metacam.

If you have problems with a recovering piggy, please contact the vet clinic promptly and don't wait until the next appointment. A piggy that is wound biting has usually a good reason for doing this.
Tips For Post-operative Care

Your vet could try a cone but many piggies can slip out of it very quickly. They also need to be able to reach their genitalia in order to eat the redigested poos (caecotrophs) that contain the not yet full broken down fibre for the second run through the gut.
They may want to try some properly done bandaging.

4harmony2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi thanks I take him to a vet that I know a guinea-pig rescue uses as my own vets & local ones don't seem to know alot about neutering ,I will give weight later he is on 0.2mg Metacam twice a day & 0.5mg of antibiotics once a day .I tried a bandage method .I have sent for one of the Elizabethan collars from amazon a soft one but its not arriving until Friday I will keep an eye that he can reach his genitals so he can eat caecotrophs .His brother was done the same time & is healing beautifully .I will contact vet again thankyou for your help I am grateful for anything that will help him

4harmony2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can you get a bandage and use that? Unfortunately that area is very difficult to keep a piggy from getting at.
If they keep gnawing on an operation wound, there is generally an unresolved major pain/discomfort aspect or the area is not healing for some reason. Has your vet checked for a potential abscess?

Neutering operations: Considerations, post-op care and a successful recovery example
I tried a crepe bandage he got it off in 5 mins .I don't mind if they put a dressing on ,could always bathe him when its time to come off . Its the 3 rd piggy I've had neutered & the other two were fine .I took him back because I noticed it weeping & a hard flat area around the scar .will take him back to vet in morn .

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried a crepe bandage he got it off in 5 mins .I don't mind if they put a dressing on ,could always bathe him when its time to come off . Its the 3 rd piggy I've had neutered & the other two were fine .I took him back because I noticed it weeping & a hard flat area around the scar .will take him back to vet in morn .
All the best! It is always very worrying when a recovery doesn't go to plan. :(

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose as a last resort you could try a cone? They do have them for guinea pigs but it's not ideal. They would have to be closely watched.
I’m afraid cones should not be used for piggies as they need to be able to eat their own poop.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that usually if they are troubling an area there is an irritant or pain - either an infection (abscess) or unresolved pain are the key culprits. Good luck back at the vets.