• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Opening up

CavyCare

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've heard that some guinea pigs open up to their owners in years, but I know I can be a little impatient. My oldest guinea pig, Midnight, is afraid of being picked up. She's good in the cage, and isn't afraid when I approach her, but when I pick her up she goes crazy! She uses a lot of her strength, but never bites. I have to hold her in a position where all four of her feet are flat and it seems unsafe to me and I don't want to risk her jumping out of my hands. Is there any way I can get her to relax being picked up?

Using something to pick her up in such as a tunnel or snuggle pouch can help and make it safer.
Do bear in mind that guinea pigs are prey animals and not all will enjoy being picked up despite anything you do.

Using something to pick her up in such as a tunnel or snuggle pouch can help and make it safer.
Do bear in mind that guinea pigs are prey animals and not all will enjoy being picked up despite anything you do.
Thank you for the help! I'll try picking her up with the suggestions, thank you!D8E694A9-9673-43B8-AB76-EF213BB359CA.jpeg

Attachments

• C73FF231-EB12-4D53-8BBC-1CBC0C0E38D2.jpeg
    C73FF231-EB12-4D53-8BBC-1CBC0C0E38D2.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
It is extremely rare that a guinea pig will "enjoy" being picked up. They will run and they will struggle because it cuts so very close to their natural prey instincts. Don't try and placate your piggy by holding them in an unsafe manner. From someone who had one of their first piggies take a leap of faith out my arms and land on the patio with ensuing blood and a broken tooth, learn from those who learnt the hard way.

I use a cosy but some of mine have wised up to the cosy (those who don't generally like laptime) so sometimes I have to be cruel to be kind and just pick them up holding them firmly. One they are nestled against my chest they calm down quickly

It's just about getting to know each piggy, as @Lady Kelly said, most piggies don't like the process of being picked up, my Honey doesn't mind it but even since her cysts have removed she's got skittish 🤣 With Willow, I wait until she's in her pigloo and then place my hand in and that seems to scare her less. The same kind of technique is used with Lois and Laine. I just always try to scoop rather than pick if that makes any sense. It can be harder with pigs because they have a strong jump and rather than coming from over the top, I try to come alone and from the side.

Also I sometimes use a piece of spare fleece to just cuddle them in whilst I hold them.

Hope this helps :)

Try stroking their head first then move down so u are stroking from head to bum then slowly place that hand under their tummy and hold them (not too hard) so they can't jump and with your other hand support there back and pull them up to your body as quickly as possible. Once they are close to u and held comfortably they will relax. X

Back