• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Operation - Now Lost Use Of Legs

piggieminder

Paw Holder
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
18,297
Reaction score
36,686
Points
2,125
Location
Bristol, UK
Duck had an operation last Monday to remove a very small but crusty, weepy lump from his back near his left hip. It was not a deep lump, only in the top layers of skin, not impacting the muscle at all but he had started to bite it. Not a decision made lightly for a 7+ year old piggy but the alternative was PTS very soon, we decided to give him a chance. He recovered well from the aesthetic, was eating and drinking straight away. His food intake was fussy and not enough hay so was on syringe fed top ups. The vet nurse was very happy with him at his check up on Friday, his poops were normalising on Fibreplex. On Saturday he had dropped a bit of weight so I upped the syringe feeding. When I got up yesterday I discovered he had lost the use of his back legs and struggled to hold his head up. Rather than rush to the out of hours non piggy vet I decided to have a quiet day with him, kept up the syringe feeds (he had completely stopped feeding himself). I was resigned to letting him go today.
This morning he was holding his head up although still not walking he was much brighter. I spoke to the operating vet on the phone who agreed it's not time to give up yet. He is now having Paracetamol (already on Meloxicam), ProC for electrolytes and Zantac. We discussed all the things we felt may have caused it and the only one we can't completely rule out is lack of electrolytes etc due to excessive urination due to subcut fluids after the operation.
Anyone had experience of this, any thoughts, suggestions?
 
Duck had an operation last Monday to remove a very small but crusty, weepy lump from his back near his left hip. It was not a deep lump, only in the top layers of skin, not impacting the muscle at all but he had started to bite it. Not a decision made lightly for a 7+ year old piggy but the alternative was PTS very soon, we decided to give him a chance. He recovered well from the aesthetic, was eating and drinking straight away. His food intake was fussy and not enough hay so was on syringe fed top ups. The vet nurse was very happy with him at his check up on Friday, his poops were normalising on Fibreplex. On Saturday he had dropped a bit of weight so I upped the syringe feeding. When I got up yesterday I discovered he had lost the use of his back legs and struggled to hold his head up. Rather than rush to the out of hours non piggy vet I decided to have a quiet day with him, kept up the syringe feeds (he had completely stopped feeding himself). I was resigned to letting him go today.
This morning he was holding his head up although still not walking he was much brighter. I spoke to the operating vet on the phone who agreed it's not time to give up yet. He is now having Paracetamol (already on Meloxicam), ProC for electrolytes and Zantac. We discussed all the things we felt may have caused it and the only one we can't completely rule out is lack of electrolytes etc due to excessive urination due to subcut fluids after the operation.
Anyone had experience of this, any thoughts, suggestions?
Thank you for sharing this with us. It is very worrying when you are faced with unclear causes. Gentle massage may help. It could be a spinal issue if he has any joint issues. I hope the sensation in his legs returns soon. Wishing you comfort and strength 🙏♥️🐾
 
Duck had an operation last Monday to remove a very small but crusty, weepy lump from his back near his left hip. It was not a deep lump, only in the top layers of skin, not impacting the muscle at all but he had started to bite it. Not a decision made lightly for a 7+ year old piggy but the alternative was PTS very soon, we decided to give him a chance. He recovered well from the aesthetic, was eating and drinking straight away. His food intake was fussy and not enough hay so was on syringe fed top ups. The vet nurse was very happy with him at his check up on Friday, his poops were normalising on Fibreplex. On Saturday he had dropped a bit of weight so I upped the syringe feeding. When I got up yesterday I discovered he had lost the use of his back legs and struggled to hold his head up. Rather than rush to the out of hours non piggy vet I decided to have a quiet day with him, kept up the syringe feeds (he had completely stopped feeding himself). I was resigned to letting him go today.
This morning he was holding his head up although still not walking he was much brighter. I spoke to the operating vet on the phone who agreed it's not time to give up yet. He is now having Paracetamol (already on Meloxicam), ProC for electrolytes and Zantac. We discussed all the things we felt may have caused it and the only one we can't completely rule out is lack of electrolytes etc due to excessive urination due to subcut fluids after the operation.
Anyone had experience of this, any thoughts, suggestions?

BIG HUGS
I am very sorry. I hope that it rights itself over time. No idea what could have caused it. You and your vet are doing all you can reasonably do.

Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the paralysis is going to gradually revert again.
 
Oh no I’m so sorry Duck has had this complication. Sending healing vibes his way. I hope he regains his mobility 🤞🏻
 
He's just had his first dose of the new meds, we had to wait for them to be ready at a different surgery as one was out of stock where we went (same company).
He's definitely brighter today, keener on syringe food and water. He managed to hobble/drag himself
about 70cms to the water bottle just now which is a gain on yesterday. I've got two water bottles at different levels.
Just worked out a meds timetable as some are 12 hourly and some 8 hourly. It's been a while since I had to tape a list like that to the kitchen door!
I'm feeling more positive today.
 
Duck's looking so much brighter this morning. He's holding his head up really well now, his right leg seems stronger but the left is still weak. He hobbles 4 or 5 steps before lying down again. The Ranitidine is working, he is very hungry. Took 15mls of recovery food and then ate veggies. Went back to his cage and started on the hay pile. Excuse the manky towel, it was on my lap while I fed him. He looks so well, hard to believe from these photo's he
can't walk!
IMG_2478.webpIMG_2479.webpThe incision site is healing nicely. The glue let go in the night at the ends but it will soon knit together now, it's all lovely and dry.
IMG_2481.webp
 
Ah sweet Duck 🥰
That’s great to read ….hopefully it is just a blip and Dck will gain full use of both legs - it’s great that his right leg is getting stronger and he can hold his head up now
We’re all sending healing vibes to you Duck and love to your hooman 🥰
 
Duck's looking so much brighter this morning. He's holding his head up really well now, his right leg seems stronger but the left is still weak. He hobbles 4 or 5 steps before lying down again. The Ranitidine is working, he is very hungry. Took 15mls of recovery food and then ate veggies. Went back to his cage and started on the hay pile. Excuse the manky towel, it was on my lap while I fed him. He looks so well, hard to believe from these photo's he
can't walk!
View attachment 289357View attachment 289358The incision site is healing nicely. The glue let go in the night at the ends but it will soon knit together now, it's all lovely and dry.
View attachment 289360
Great to see handsome Duck doing so well. Get well soon lovely boy 🥰🙏♥️
 
Last night when I did the evening veggies Duck was sitting in his veggie time spot waiting for me rather than staying in his hidey. It was hard not to cry to see him there. He ate his veggies and then went to his hay. He has stayed in his hidey most of today so I was getting worried. Just now I walked into the room and he was walking round the cage, he's stiff but using his legs properly with only the occasional bunny hop to change direction. He also lowered his back end and rubbed his scent gland in the fleece while walking. It might just be the high concentration of pain killers he is on but to me he is making massive improvement for such a short time for a piggy who was paralysed a few days ago and struggled to even lift his head.
 
Last night when I did the evening veggies Duck was sitting in his veggie time spot waiting for me rather than staying in his hidey. It was hard not to cry to see him there. He ate his veggies and then went to his hay. He has stayed in his hidey most of today so I was getting worried. Just now I walked into the room and he was walking round the cage, he's stiff but using his legs properly with only the occasional bunny hop to change direction. He also lowered his back end and rubbed his scent gland in the fleece while walking. It might just be the high concentration of pain killers he is on but to me he is making massive improvement for such a short time for a piggy who was paralysed a few days ago and struggled to even lift his head.

That is great to hear. I was hoping that it would gradually come back once the GA had filtered out of his system. Well done Duck! Please continue and please continue to enjoy your life a bit longer. :yahoo:
 
Oh that’s amazing - sweet Duck ❤️
I really really hope Duck will continue to improve 🥰
It must so lovely for you to see him now
 
Back
Top