• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Opinions On Clyde's Teeth, Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
IMG_4024.JPG IMG_4021.JPG I would like the opinion of other members regarding Clyde's teeth. Here's a couple of pictures. Poor fella, he has already had them filed down twice in the last couple of months! Twice a long thin spike developed on the left side of his lower incisors, and was filed off. Now, the edges of the teeth are on a slope so do not meet levelly. As of yet, though, he has NO problems at all eating. Do you think the teeth will wear down level or will he need another dentist visit? Having said that, I don't think they are as wonky as when I first looked at them a couple of weeks ago. What do you think about the odd "L" shape of the lower incisors? Have you seen anything like that before?

Sorry I don't have experience with any dental issues/filling at the moment but I wanted to wish Clyde all the best and I hope he doesn't continue to need regular treatments, poor little boy

Make sure he eats lots of hay every day. It' the best thing for teeth (back & front) & tums as well. Fresh grass is good too. It will help to stop the spikes (spurs) forming. Ease back on the dried food if need be to encourage more hay eating :)

Has your vet actually looked at the back teeth at all or did they just sort out the front ones?

Wonky front incisors are a clue to overgrown or uneven back molars. Without sorting out these molars the front teeth will continue to grow wonky. Sometimes older pigs can develop degenerative join disease in the jaw and cause wonky teeth but it's more likely a lack of fibre causing overgrown molars.

I would ensure that you either see a good exotics or piggie savvy vet or make sure your vet looks at the back teeth and gets them sorted out.

For now ensure that your pig is getting plenty of hay. Go easy on the pellets too.

And as another thought is he a bar chewer? I have a sow who managed to get her teeth like this from extreme bar chewing but had no issues with back teeth.

Hope you can get him sorted.

x

Do you weigh him reguarly? I know when my Fred needed his teeth done I would take him for a dental when he was losing weight. His weight remained stable except when his teeth needed done.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
I know I should weigh Clyde, but he has always been a thin boy. The last two times when he had the spike filed down, the Vet nurse did not mention any problems with his molars. He was weighed at the vets the second time, and had actually PUT ON weight! He is still eating the same and as much as the other piggies, just takes a bit longer. Probably because I cut his veg up smaller. No, he has never been a bar-chewer. He does eat lots of hay and I cut long grass from the garden for all of them now and then. I will continue to keep a close eye on his teeth.

It is imperative that you keep an eye on his weight, by weighing him regularly - a cheap set of electronic scales and a casserole dish works well here! :) That way, if his weight is tailing off, you will spot it sooner rather than later.

Sadly, there aren't many vets out there who can deal well with dental issues. There are cavy savvy vets, but knowledge about dental issues is certainly varied. We are lucky to have an excellent dental vet here, in Northampton, who works alongside us at the sanctuary. Is there any way you could make it, to see exactly what is going on in Clyde's mouth? Unfortunately, TEAS is full to bursting at the moment, but please bear us in mind should Clyde need assistance once a place becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back