• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Opinions on what to do with lonely rescue pig please

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

My rescue pig Max was due to go to his new home soon:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2200.msg47578#msg47578

Unfortunately his new home has fallen through :'(..... and it could take a while still to rehome him. But he has been on his own for far too long, so i am thinking of getting him a friend and homing then together (the rescue i help out at may have a suitable friend and I know they would be fine with me doing this as I have rehomed fosters myself.)

What do you think? Should he stay single and therefore easier to rehome, however long it takes? Or should i get him a friend for his remaining time with me?

thanks

What do you think? Should he stay single and therefore easier to rehome, however long it takes? Or should i get him a friend for his remaining time with me?

thanks
[/quote]

I found it easier rehoming Billie once I had a buddy for her. I think I had her for about a month, I did get in touch with another rescue who helped me out. This way you will know that they get on before you rehome them. I am lucky that I have a castrated male that loves meeting new guinea pigs and he is often used as a farther figure. I have a double hutch where he can move about with his own family but he always tends to stay on the same level as the rescue Guinea pig.

Mary

I would pair him up with a friend before it gets too late. He is more likely to be friends with someone sooner rather than later :)

Definitely pair him with a female pig. :)

I dont know why but when I did a bit of rehoming, pairs seemed to rehome better than singles.

Hope Max finds a friend and new home soon, poor lad has been waiting ages.

Deb x

I'm surprised that you are finding it so hard to place him, I usually find that neutered males go "easily." People often call when they have lost a sow and are looking for a replacement, to keep the remaining girl company. Many don't think about a neutered boar, but are generally happy to consider one when I explain the pros.

As always, it is just luck who is looking at any given time ::)

I'm not sure if I would pair him up or not, though here there would be girls he could go in with until the right owner came along. So I can see why it is probably a good idea.
Where are you advertising for a home? Have you tried your local vet surgeries? If you haven't already done so, you could print a poster and add contact details etc. Local, general rescues might let you put a poster up in reception? Might your local paper run a little story about him? Just ideas :)

Good luck and I hope a very special home turns up soon

Barbara

I would wait on pairing him up as he may be just what someone with female piggys is looking for! There are obviously benefits of you pairing him up before rehoming him though. New/inexperianced owners might be put off by the idea of having to pair up. It might also be a while before he gets a home, though, as Cavykind said nuetered boars are hard to find so therefore in demand! Tough call. If not you can make his having a friend a condition of adoption.

cavykind said:
I'm surprised that you are finding it so hard to place him, I usually find that neutered males go "easily." People often call when they have lost a sow and are looking for a replacement, to keep the remaining girl company. Many don't think about a neutered boar, but are generally happy to consider one when I explain the pros.

As always, it is just luck who is looking at any given time ::)

I'm not sure if I would pair him up or not, though here there would be girls he could go in with until the right owner came along. So I can see why it is probably a good idea.
Where are you advertising for a home? Have you tried your local vet surgeries? If you haven't already done so, you could print a poster and add contact details etc. Local, general rescues might let you put a poster up in reception? Might your local paper run a little story about him? Just ideas :)

Good luck and I hope a very special home turns up soon

Barbara

I'm not actually having a problem finding him a home- he's been offered several. He found the perfect one several weeks ago, but now the lady can no longer take him, hence why I posted.

I think the rescue may have two females, so i may take them for the time being. Thanks for the ideas.

Lucinda said:
How close to Bath could Max come?

I'm not sure how near to bath i could get him at all really- i dont have a car myself I'm afraid.

And then there's the problem of your travelling cage?

How far could you travel Lucinda? I'm in Notts so could help somewhat with transport...

Beks said:
How far could you travel Lucinda? I'm in Notts so could help somewhat with transport...

thats really nice of you Beks, whereabouts are you?

Well Lucinda its 150 miles, so over to you ;D

I'm based in Beeston :)

Lucinda, are there no trains from Bristol to Notts or Birmingham?

yes, there are trains, but to be honest with you I can't afford the prices of the trains at the moment. I would love Max so much - it's a shame he can't be posted! i think it's unrealistic for me, really. The travelling hutch isn't really a problem, as mine is very big (it's sold as a rabbit/ guinea home not travelling hutch). Thank you so much for your offer, Beks. x

Aw but Max was looking forward to meeting your boys :)

No worries, I know its a difficult situation. Fingers crossed a home comes for Max soon, I am going to speak to the rescue tomorrowregarding the two girls to see if they are still there- Max could still go to a home as a companion for another pig and those two together.

Hi Mandy - have a think about my 2 rescue girls. The licky pig is doing well but I really don't think it will be long for the PEW :'(

Have PM'd you as I have a rather large spare hutch now :'(

hils78 said:
Hi Mandy - have a think about my 2 rescue girls. The licky pig is doing well but I really don't think it will be long for the PEW :'(

Sorry if I seem thick H but what is PEW!

Mary

Mary said:
hils78 said:

Sorry if I seem thick H but what is PEW!

Mary

Pink eyed white

If (in fantasy land) someone was coming anywhere near Bath it would be a possibiliy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back