• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Opinions please on Ferplast 100 double storey cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi i know that some of you have this cage for your pigs and was wondering if you could let me know your views on them. The ramp in the picture looks so steep, is it an optical illusion?
Do your guinea pigs enjoy living in this cage?
Would you reccommend it?
Do you find it easy to clean out?
is it ridiculously large?(I need it to go in my daughters bedroom)
How many guinea pigs do you house in yours?
Do you have pictures Ferplast set up?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabb...a-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-15992

Any advice would be much appreciated xx

Hi i know that some of you have this cage for your pigs and was wondering if you could let me know your views on them. The ramp in the picture looks so steep, is it an optical illusion?
Do your guinea pigs enjoy living in this cage?
Would you reccommend it?
Do you find it easy to clean out?
is it ridiculously large?(I need it to go in my daughters bedroom)
How many guinea pigs do you house in yours?
Do you have pictures Ferplast set up?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabb...a-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-15992

Any advice would be much appreciated xx

Well, I don't have this cage, but I just wanted to add that I think a few comments have been made regarding double storey cages and that pigs should be able to enjoy the full length of the cage without stopping to go up stairs-i.e the minimum length/width should still apply.

Jobo, I've an old single storey 100cm cage which will be a similar size if you want to borrow the base to try it out in M's room, but it's not that big length wise, and some of the floor space is taken up by the ramp too, I wouldn't put more than 2 boars or 3 sows in it.

I wouldnt get a double one personsally, id be worried about them falling off that steep ramp and they are lazy little things. Id be tempted to just get a big long length ferplast.

thanks for the advice so far, the only concern i have is that it is really limited space for my daughters room and length is a bit of a problem, i am planning on getting aramp tunnel for the ramp so that it will prevent the pig from falling. It will only be a single pig in this cage as we have found a pig that needs rescuing who gets on with no other pig despite numerous attemps. If you have suggestions of other cage ideas that would be great. will 100cm single story be big enough for 1 pig?

Keep coming with your opinions cause i really need any and all advice

Does this mean more piggies?

yep this would make it up to 20. I can tell you are a bit confused Helen so i will help you out.

In the purpose built shed will be 1 male and 13 females.
In the C&C in the study i have my 4 females and 1 male (avatar pic)
Upstairs in Megs room will be single lone piggy, we decided this would be really good for Megs to have her own pig, and she will benefit from a single pig as it will be a great pet with lots of bonding, and this will be Megs pig with no inteference from me accept to nag to clean it out lol.

Hope this clears things up xx

I've got a Ferplast 100 double storey for two of my boars (it's not the pets at home one but similar) we adjusted the ramp ourselves to make it not as steep, put some carpet on it so they can grip and a rail so they don't fall off. Personally I think it's fine for two boars (mine are small boars at around 1kg), mine enjoy zooming up and down the ramp and they can get away from each other if they want by having one floor each. They get run time outside and also free run of my kitchen when the weathers bad and they are perfectly happy :)

I've also got the zooplus 120 cage with a stand, that has an upper level (you can add two upper levels, two ramps or have none at all) for my other two boars Rodney & Delboy. They hate going up the ramps, so just avoid them completely, so I took all the levels and ramps out and they much prefer it, so I think it does depend on the guinea pig as to whether or not they will use a ramp.

Maybe you could do a C&C double storey? to see if he would even use a ramp, and if not just do a 100cm cage out of the grids? I've never done C&C though, don't know how easy it would be!

we have ruled out C&C or rather hubby has, but i have always managed to get my pigs to use ramps, with a bit of patience, and are hoping to get a ramp tunnel as i think this will help loads

If you're sure you will be able to train him to use ramp, then get it! Much better than just a 100cm single storey by itself for a single piggy. I think I saw a couple FS on the forum, so check the sale/wanted section! Although rainbowstars may have sold hers, there was another...

ahaaa, am now up to speed on your piggies! I think for a single piggy that would be a great cage, mine have been ok with ramps, but I went to Ikea and got an thin cheap doormat to line them with, and a plastic bag holder to cover them with- like this

Before I got the new girls I had Rosie and Rum in the Ferplast cage. I had it in my bedroom at my mums and although tall it didn't take up too much space. The ramp is quite steep but my girls never had a problem once I covered the ramp with carpet. It should be fine for a single piggy. It can be fiddly to take apart to clean though. The height is good for interacting with the piggies. Thats my two cents on the cage.

This may give you an idea of the space it takes up compared to my 3 by 6 c&c
SL384555.jpg

SL384554.jpg

Just another picture of the cage in use

DSC06201.jpg

Guinea pigs are not natural climbers so you need to house according to horizontal floor space and 100cm isn't really big enough for a piggy to run laps in. The ramp itself also takes away floor space.

think that waste of money.You can find such 100cm base for 20 pounds + postage on internet and connect them 110mm waste pipe they will have more space - but think 2x100mmcages is ok for 1 piggy only :)

What I did:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbg5F2XyJh0[/ame]

I have that Ferplast 100 for my Scruffy - he manages just fine with the ramp! Although like other people ahve said, I did cover it so he could get a better grip to get up and down safely.

I originally bought it for my 2 boars but sadly they fell out so Scruff is on his own now - tbh, I think it wouldn't have been suitable for 2 piggies anyway but is ideal for one decent sized piggy wig!

Of the 3 cages I have - it's the most fiddly when it's cleaning day but it doesn't take up too much floor space and it's lovely to chat to Scruff when he's on the top floor nosing out! He can even talk to our bird from the top floor!

That is a very steep ramp! I would not use it because they could fall or slide off it!

i've got this cage and at first bob and jim were terrified of going up and down it, so i got a tunnel ramp from cosy cavies www.cosycavies.co.uk/products/tunnels/ and they're fine with it now and love running up and down it. my flat's not so big and i have a terrier who never leaves the jinnywigs alone, so this cage was perfect for me, gives them space to run around and doesn't take up to much room x

IMG00485-20110524-1712.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back