• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Orange Ish Pee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I noticed some orange ish splotches in the pig cage. I think it is pee, but it is never this colour. I'm sort of worried about it, my mum thinks it is because of a strawberry top they ate. What do you think?
image.jpg

I can't imagine that a strawberry top would make the pee turn a colour, unless it was something else they have eaten. I have had some worrying times over wee colour but it was definitely always food related. Try reducing the variety of veg until you can pinpoint it unless of course your certain it's blood, but I find that blood is very precise, and appears together and the pee round the outside, not mixed in...
Sorry I can't help more it's not really something I know about, just more experience really.
No doubt an more experienced person will come along.

That looks like pee to me, due to the Orange/Rusty colour. Blood tends to actually look more red/pink.

All pigs pee differently, if you are concerned either get some urine dipsticks and test each one's pee, and ask for advice on the results. Or, have a vet check them. This would help you find a cause or put your mind at rest. But I don't think you have much of a problem there :)

I also agree with the above ^ it could be veg related, some vegetables contain carotene (I think) and this will colour the urine Orange - well that's what a vet told me.

Also, what age/sex are your pigs?

That looks like pee to me, due to the Orange/Rusty colour. Blood tends to actually look more red/pink.

All pigs pee differently, if you are concerned either get some urine dipsticks and test each one's pee, and ask for advice on the results. Or, have a vet check them. This would help you find a cause or put your mind at rest. But I don't think you have much of a problem there :)

I also agree with the above ^ it could be veg related, some vegetables contain carotene (I think) and this will colour the urine Orange - well that's what a vet told me.

Also, what age/sex are your pigs?

Thank you, that had lots of info for me. :) My pigs are almost 9 months old. If they were your pigs, what would you do?

Do I spot a red pepper in there?
They haven't had red pepper in about a month, it might be the strawberry top, though.

Thank you, that had lots of info for me. :) My pigs are almost 9 months old. If they were your pigs, what would you do?

They haven't had red pepper in about a month, it might be the strawberry top, though.
Me personally? I'd just keep an eye on it, if it gets more orange though this could be a concern, but that looks more rusty coloured to me. So, yeah, I'd just keep an eye on it like you probably normally do, maybe buy some urine sticks? I'd test it if I ever got worried again then :)

Younger piggies wee can sometimes dry a rusty colour. If you were particularly concerned you could get them to wee in a plastic box or the bath, use a syringe to pick some up and take it straight to the vet for a quick test.

Orange urine can be perfectly normal due to it becoming oxidised whilst standing.
Urine can also change colour depending on what foods they have eaten. For some reason, brussels sprouts make my Emma's urine darker with a tinge of orange.

I have just taken this off guinea pig lynx for you.

NORMAL:
Urine may be clear to cloudy in color. Calcium compounds in the urine cause this cloudiness. Normal urine is not gritty in texture. Dried urine may leave powdery white calcium compounds. Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine. Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine).

chalky_deposits.jpg
NOT NORMAL:
dt.gif
Gritty compounds: may indicate sludge in the bladder. Strong smelling urine may be a sign of dehydration or infection. The gritty deposits are sometimes called sludge, which feels coarse and sandy. Powdery deposits are normal. Rub the deposits between your fingers to determine if they are powdery or gritty.
dt.gif
Blood in urine is not normal and may be due to a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or (in females) reproductive problems like pyometra (an infection of the lining of the uterus).
dt.gif
Incontinence is not normal. Your guinea pig should be relatively dry. If its fur is constantly wet and/or there is an odor, be sure to have your pet checked out for a urinary tract infection or other problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me personally? I'd just keep an eye on it, if it gets more orange though this could be a concern, but that looks more rusty coloured to me. So, yeah, I'd just keep an eye on it like you probably normally do, maybe buy some urine sticks? I'd test it if I ever got worried again then :)
Where would you go to get urine sticks?

I brought my urine sticks off of amazon. You may also be able to buy them from your local pharmacy.

It's a shame you live so far otherwise I would have posted you a few.

I have these
That's so kind of you! Even if I lived close enough, it would be okay. :) Thank you for all of this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back