• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oreo’s gone deaf? :(

Fluffbabies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
**Questions at the bottom if you want to skip the essay! **

One of our piggies, Oreo, seems to have gone completely deaf and very suddenly.

She’s only three and a half so I didn’t think she was old. She has no signs of being unwell she just doesn’t hear anymore. Any little noise in the kitchen or any rustle used to send her crazy and she’d come running out wheeking non stop so loud the neighbours could hear and run around in circles. Now we shake a big bag of salad near her but out of sight and she has no reaction 😭.

We’ve tried clapping and other loud noises near her and there’s no reaction. The others react. She didn’t even seem fussed when we hoovered around the cage.

We’re really upset because that was a huge part of her personality and she used to drive us crazy. It was like you were hostage in your own home. You couldn’t eat a snack because it would set her off and you’d look up to see her staring at you from the cage or stood up wanting what you had. And now she just goes about her piggy business eating and napping. She doesn’t wheek or get excited anymore. 😭 The others come out but even they aren’t wheeking and aren’t as excited because they always followed her lead and now if you have treats you got to put them under her nose so she can see them. I tried rustling the bag in front of her so she could see and join in with the others but she used to follow the sound and chase you whereas now she just looks lost.

I obviously don’t love her any less. I just hope she’s okay because she must notice that things are quiet and she can’t hear us talking to her anymore. My boyfriend sings little songs to her during cuddle time and we make kissing noises to get her attention to play with her or pick her up. And now she can’t hear any of it. it just makes me so sad to see her laying in the cage knowing she can’t hear what’s going on anymore. I’ve been crying for hours. I miss her wheeking and getting excited!

Is it “normal” for piggies to go deaf at this kind of age?
And for it to happen so completely almost over night?!
Does anyone know why as I didn’t think she was old and she doesn’t seem to be unwell in any way?

Thank you for taking the time to read or look at the questions. I’m just looking for reassurance I guess and others’ experiences with their own piggies. I’m just so sad for her! 😭

Attachments

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
**Questions at the bottom if you want to skip the essay! **

One of our piggies, Oreo, seems to have gone completely deaf and very suddenly.

She’s only three and a half so I didn’t think she was old. She has no signs of being unwell she just doesn’t hear anymore. Any little noise in the kitchen or any rustle used to send her crazy and she’d come running out wheeking non stop so loud the neighbours could hear and run around in circles. Now we shake a big bag of salad near her but out of sight and she has no reaction 😭.

We’ve tried clapping and other loud noises near her and there’s no reaction. The others react. She didn’t even seem fussed when we hoovered around the cage.

We’re really upset because that was a huge part of her personality and she used to drive us crazy. It was like you were hostage in your own home. You couldn’t eat a snack because it would set her off and you’d look up to see her staring at you from the cage or stood up wanting what you had. And now she just goes about her piggy business eating and napping. She doesn’t wheek or get excited anymore. 😭 The others come out but even they aren’t wheeking and aren’t as excited because they always followed her lead and now if you have treats you got to put them under her nose so she can see them. I tried rustling the bag in front of her so she could see and join in with the others but she used to follow the sound and chase you whereas now she just looks lost.

I obviously don’t love her any less. I just hope she’s okay because she must notice that things are quiet and she can’t hear us talking to her anymore. My boyfriend sings little songs to her during cuddle time and we make kissing noises to get her attention to play with her or pick her up. And now she can’t hear any of it. it just makes me so sad to see her laying in the cage knowing she can’t hear what’s going on anymore. I’ve been crying for hours. I miss her wheeking and getting excited!

Is it “normal” for piggies to go deaf at this kind of age?
And for it to happen so completely almost over night?!
Does anyone know why as I didn’t think she was old and she doesn’t seem to be unwell in any way?

Thank you for taking the time to read or look at the questions. I’m just looking for reassurance I guess and others’ experiences with their own piggies. I’m just so sad for her! 😭
I am very sorry. Please have her vet checked in case it is just due to clogged ears.

PS: Do not home treat on spec and never pour anything down ears as you can easily make things worse and much more painful. I know that you won't do it but others reading this may be tempted.

Fluffbabies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you Wiebke and Piggiesandbuns. I will get her a vet appointment ASAP this week. Will the vet look in her ears with a tool? I thought it was uncommon for blockages but it’s worth checking out.

The only thing she has is hay mites which she has had before. We are using the gorgeous guineas mite shampoo on them all for that but I doubt those would have anything to do with her deafness. We also started noticing she didn’t react before the bath so I don’t think I got water in her ears.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hope that whatever the problem is it can be easily treated.
Holding you in my thoughts

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Wiebke and Piggiesandbuns. I will get her a vet appointment ASAP this week. Will the vet look in her ears with a tool? I thought it was uncommon for blockages but it’s worth checking out.

The only thing she has is hay mites which she has had before. We are using the gorgeous guineas mite shampoo on them all for that but I doubt those would have anything to do with her deafness. We also started noticing she didn’t react before the bath so I don’t think I got water in her ears.
Hi!

There is such a thing as rabbit ear mites or it can be a build up of wax.

Unfortunately when home treating with shampoos, you will not necessarily kill off any mites, including cavy mange mites (trixacarus caviae) or hay mites (chirodiscoides caviar). Only a ourse of vet grade ivermection will really get rid of them. We have not found that Gorgeous Guineas shampoo can cure mites reliably; sorry for the wasted money.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites