• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oscar Help PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oscar hasn't eaten properly, he's only nibbled on cucumber rind since yesterday afternoon. I've taken him to see a v piggy savvy vet who has prescribed metacam 0.1 ml twice daily and zantak syrup 0.2 ml twice daily. He said Oscar didn't have anything obvious wrong except a build up of poops in his gut, so I had to keep him separate to monitor his poop output (there's been none) and try and tempt him with his fave food, so I've put fresh grass, brussell sprout leaves, hay and his normal dried food. He still isn't eating. What can I do?
Simon the vet said he could syringe feed him all day tomorrow, I'm not sure if I should start now?
Help!
B-(

I don't know what to suggest but I hope that things improve with Oscar soon. I am sure there will be some good advice on it's way.

if it was me i would phone the vet back and tell him he's not eating and ask, a piggy not eating for a while is not good.

good luck i hope he starts to eat soon
x

Did he say about giving him a probotic to help get a good gut function if he has a build up?

Did he say about giving him a probotic to help get a good gut function if he has a build up?

I did ask about a pro-biotic, but the vet didn't prescribe one. Oscar did eat his girl's poos when he was poorly before, so I guess I could cook up some poo soup! Yum! He's just passed some large brown poo's, so I'm hoping perhaps the gut stimulant has done it's stuff.
Thanks for all the advise so far, I'll keep you posted!
X
x

Thats good thats hes passed some poos :) Maybe you could give him a poop soup if you've done it for him before .. or if he starts eating better and pooing more then you wont need too :)

Awww I'm sorry to hear this sad news.

One of my boys had a gut stasis problem. I know it feels horrible and stressful and you just wanna panic but, I have to say, the Zantac really did the trick.

I would be hesitant about getting him to eat too much until you see some signs of piggy poop just to avoid bloat. I'm sure Oscar will pull through.

Psotive vibes from us here :)

Hello, we've managed to get nearly 9ml of mushed up pellets down Oscar about two hours ago, he has nibbled on hay a bit of cucumber.....still pooping! We'll get another lot of mushed up pellets down him again just before bed, and feasilby once during the night (!) and then I'll hand him over to Simon (yes the Cat and Rabbit place in Duston) to look after him tomorrow for me, I'm at work so it works out really well.
Have been so upset. I hope he pulls though, as he's such a beautiful and gorgeous pig. We love him to distraction. This is so hard B-( X x

Hello, we've managed to get nearly 9ml of mushed up pellets down Oscar about two hours ago, he has nibbled on hay a bit of cucumber.....still pooping! We'll get another lot of mushed up pellets down him again just before bed, and feasilby once during the night (!) and then I'll hand him over to Simon (yes the Cat and Rabbit place in Duston) to look after him tomorrow for me, I'm at work so it works out really well.
Have been so upset. I hope he pulls though, as he's such a beautiful and gorgeous pig. We love him to distraction. This is so hard B-( X x

He couldn't be in better hands with Simon. I would also be willing to help you out with syringe feeding or anything while you're at work. I've got a petsitting business and work in a childrens day nursery part time (4 hours a day) so I am at home a lot of the time and therefore able to care for sick piggies.

The fact he's still pooping sounds positive and I really hope he's soon fit and well again.

Give me a shout if I can be of any help to you.

He couldn't be in better hands with Simon. I would also be willing to help you out with syringe feeding or anything while you're at work. I've got a petsitting business and work in a childrens day nursery part time (4 hours a day) so I am at home a lot of the time and therefore able to care for sick piggies.

The fact he's still pooping sounds positive and I really hope he's soon fit and well again.

Give me a shout if I can be of any help to you.

Thank you so much! I actually called Tracy in Rugby yesterday to see if she could have him, we have nightmare logistics today, and she did suggest you! I checked on the journey, and it's about the same to Duston as it is to you, but I will definitely ask for help if we need it again! Thanks so much. Still waiting to see how he is this morning, he's in my daughter's room so she could check on him during the night.
Watch this space!

Really quick update, thanks for all the positive wishes. Osc has been syringe fed all day by the vet's staff. They said he didn't eat anything whilst he was there, but that's not unusual for Piggles. They suggested he could go back with his ladies, and he is SO much happier now he's home. He is nibbling, not eating properly, but he is SO much perkier I am incredibly relieved. Not out of the woods yet, but is all good so far.
YAY!

Really quick update, thanks for all the positive wishes. Osc has been syringe fed all day by the vet's staff. They said he didn't eat anything whilst he was there, but that's not unusual for Piggles. They suggested he could go back with his ladies, and he is SO much happier now he's home. He is nibbling, not eating properly, but he is SO much perkier I am incredibly relieved. Not out of the woods yet, but is all good so far.
YAY!

Another quick update! He seems great this morning. He must be so sick of me spying on him! I am trying to feel relieved! My life has been one string of disasters after another recently, so I apologize for my negative outlook. I'm going to watch him closely, but so far, so good. He even pop corned this morning! YAY! B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back