Out In The Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma7ie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How long is it ok to leave guinea pigs out in the sun if they have some shade please? I have put my boys on the decking and have covered the run with a blanket, but I'm worried that they'll overheat. What do you think?
20150423_114238.jpg

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I leave mine out all day in the shade. But that is purely because it is cooler outside than in the shed where the live. Make sure that they have some water out with them. But I would say you could leave them happily for 3 hours, the best thing would be to just keep an eye on them. Mine do tend to have mid afternoon naps while they are out.

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I put mine out at about 12.30- 1.00 pm(or whenever the grass gets dry) and will leave them out until about 7.30 pm or until it starts to get dark. I won't put them out if I can't be there to watch over them, as I am surrounded by cats. I have had no trouble yet, but one will try it's luck sooner or later! They can't get in my metal runs, but they'll give the piggies a fright! I keep a washing up liquid bottle filled with water to squirt the cats with! Haha! Also I once had a stoat in the garden. :yikes:Thankfully my piggies were inside at the time. Is there such a thing as stoat-proof wire? :hmm:

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
It's lovely to get them out. I don't leave mine out all day as i'm at work but they go out as soon as I get home weather permitting. They have a shaded cover which covered a large section of their run but by the time i get home their section of the lawn is shaded by the house anyway :)

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't normally leave my two out for more than 3-4 hours. When it's very hot, try to avoid putting them out during the heat of the day! Also, using a towel that is cold wet over a part of the run will circulate a bit of the air making it cooler.

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If they have plenty of shade, leaving them out all day will be fine! Mine were out from midday until 7pm today :)

Ma7ie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I let them have 3 hours and they were fine. It's a sun trap on the decking and even with the blanket, I wasn't sure whether they'd be too hot. Luckily I work from home so they can have plenty of run time because they only have a 120cm cage, which I thought would be ok for them before I adopted them. I didn't realise how big they were and now I'm feeling guilty, especially after seeing all the fantastic set ups on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.