• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor First Timers

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi ive just adopted 2 new teenage piggies and have one 3yr old too, all had never been outside on grass before (older pig was neglected and owner died and were left!). As the weather is warming up i did their bonding outside which they loved but wondering if i need to be concious of anything being outside, do they need any treatments etc. Thanks

Hello

Sorry your post got missed :( Nothing personal sometimes posts just get bumped down the list faster as other posts come in.

Are you keeping them as outside piggies? Or are you referring to lawn time?

No problem at all. They will be indoor but just have lawn time, we are limited on floor space indoors sinve upgrading ro a c,&c cage but outside is huge so have plenty of run space thanks

Make sure to not feed grass too quickly as it might cause a bit of intestinal discomfort. One of my piggies got runny poo after being outside on the grass the first time. It was NOT fun...

Mine are outside piggies and they have a run on the patio and one on the grass. I am slowly introducing them to lawn time. I started off with half an hour a day and have been increasing that time every two days and am now up to 2 and a half hours and all 5 are fine with no runny or gassy tummies. When I have increased the time to 4 hours they will be on the lawn all day weather permitting. I have two different runs the one on the patio is rectangular and the one on the grass is a square. I can't put all 5 out in one run for the whole day as they ruin the grass so I'll have to put 2 in one and 3 in the other but close together so that they can still talk to each other. I'll have to see if there is a way I can join them. Last year I only had the 1 run so it was "Here Come The Girls" one day and the boys stayed in the hutch and the next day it was "The Boys are Back in Town" and the girls stayed in the hutch which wasn't ideal which is why I bought the other run.

Back