Outdoor hides?

stephanieclarex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! What type of hides would be recommended for outdoor runs? Our hutch has a run attached to it and I’d like to put some hides and houses in it permanently but it’s completely open/mesh and I’m worried about rain getting in and rotting wood, soaking fleece etc.
If I got wooden ones and coated them with Plastikote, would they be suitable/waterproof?

CrestedPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd just put the hides in when you allow them access to the run, and take them out afterwards so they don't get damaged by the rain or damp conditions 🙂

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If it's a run that extends outwards from the main body of the hutch, could you cover it in rainy weather?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I just move hides in and out of the runs each day as everybody is only out if it is dry anyway, but you could make either a temporary or permanent roof to the runs - temporary in plastic sheeting which gets clipped on, or permanent with cladding some of the run in wood or putting corrugated plastic over and making a roof.

stephanieclarex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If it's a run that extends outwards from the main body of the hutch, could you cover it in rainy weather?
Ah yeah I can! We have tarpaulins we put on top of the hutches in winter which would fit. I mainly didn’t think to do that because it’s rather ugly, but I do prefer functionality over looks.

stephanieclarex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'd just put the hides in when you allow them access to the run, and take them out afterwards so they don't get damaged by the rain or damp conditions 🙂
Thank you! I didn’t think of it that way - I thought the only option was to keep them in the run and take out when it rains, I didn’t realise you could keep them separately and only put them in when it’s dry 😂