• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor Hutch or Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum because I wanted a bit of advice.

Our 2 males guinea pigs (Jasper and Gizmo) currently live indoors, but we have recently moved house where we now have a small garden. We have enough room for either an outdoor hutch or a small run, but weren't sure which one to get?

We let them have a run around indoors regularly, and like to take their cage outdoors when it's dry so they can get some fresh air. I'd just like a bit of advice before we invest as to whether people would think it would be better to get a run for them or an outdoor hutch instead? We'd just like them to get a bit more of a run around and some fresh air!

Thank you,

Natalie

My piggies are indoors, but I think you will need a hutch (minimum size is the same as cages, 120cm) if you plan to keep them outside, as during the winter months, a run will offer no protection from the elements. You could always get a hutch with a run attached? or get a run as well?

(welcome to the forum btw!)

Hi

Our guinea pigs live outside in a two story hutch with a fixed bottom. I didn't get one with an open bottom as they can get damp by sitting directly on the ground and can be draughty for your piggies.

On nice days they go in their run on the grass which they love.

Personally if I only had room for a hutch or a run I would opt for a run. That way they can have a run about in the fresh air and nibble on the grass :)

Hi guys, thank you both very much for your advice, we decided to go for a run in the end!

I'd like to attach an image but I can't figure out how to do it! Basically we converted a rough patch of dirt into a mini raised lawn and they have been out on it nearly everyday now and very much enjoy having a nibble on the grass!

Thanks again,

Natalie (and Jasper & Gizmo!)

Hi
Mabye you could get one of those hutch runs. They have a sheltered hutch bit on the top and the ramp goes straight onto the grass. Your guinea pigs could have a bit of fresh air while relaxing or graze grass. And you could keep them indoor when it get cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back