• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor Run

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my piggies have started going outside since the weather has been nicer however, the run they are in (although its like piggie heaven) doesn’t have anything over the top of it. I am a little concerned as to whether or not the pigs could be at danger from overhead predators but am unsure if any actually would take pigs. I try to give them plenty of hidies so that they have got places to hide if the worst scenario happens but am I worrying for no reason? They never go out when I am not home and I constantly check on them.
8329BA3F-3C98-4C0C-B943-8D29D266C768.jpeg

I’ve a lovely space for them but are at risk with no lid on the run. Birds of prey would attack, cats could jump in etc. Unless you are actually sat out there watching the entire time, (Ie not in your house looking out), then it’s risky
Keeping Piggies Safe during outdoor time

Okay thank you for your help, I might see about making something to go over like mesh (would that work) out of curiosity what sort of birds of prey would take guinea pigs?

Okay thank you for your help, I might see about making something to go over like mesh (would that work) out of curiosity what sort of birds of prey would take guinea pigs?

Something sturdy would be needed

Red kites, buzzards, Sparrow hawks - all of these are living in Norfolk
Magpies could have a go. Those types of birds typically go for carrion, but if the opportunity arose, they may attempt it

Okay thank you for your help I am going to see if I can get something sturdy made to go over the top and in the meantime I do have a smaller run that is covered over the top that can go on our lawn that I can put them in.81A38D55-7D48-493C-8BE0-184BFF919151.jpeg

I have seen hawks circling even when I am sitting in the pen with the piggies! I have a lid on mine and put it on whenever I am not sitting in the pen with them.

ive have unfortunatley seen a magpie go off with a guinea pig,not mine.so it is a risk if you do not have a secure run.the run on the patio looks ideal.
:)

Oh no, I definitely have magpies in my garden so that could happen. I think for now I am just going to put them in the other run that has a lid on it
Thank you for all the help😀

Oh no, I definitely have magpies in my garden so that could happen. I think for now I am just going to put them in the other run that has a lid on it
Thank you for all the help😀
Could you lift the covered run into the grassy area they are currently using? Maybe open the door so they can wander round the rest of the grassy bit, when you are out there with them. If it were my run, I would probably treat it with a bit of animal-friendly wood treatment first, but that's not essential providing there's no sharp bits sticking out that could hurt a piggy.

My friend at work had his bunny attacked other day by a bird. The bunny was dropped from garden play.
A netting across is really needed. Piggies hide cos they fear attack.
A netting like that use for protecting plants used by gardeners. You still see them and they be protected. Simple hooks make it easy to take off and quick

Back