• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ovarian cyst symptoms- but in a boar?

mezmezmeeez

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I am once again here with my piggy problems.
One of my boars seems to have all of the usual symptoms of a ovarian cyst?
Hair loss, roundness on the sides, swollen nipples and today (sexual?) aggression from my other boar.
Since he dealt with a fungal infection a while back (which was treated with the help of the people on this forum!), I attributed the hair loss/thinning to that, as for the roundness I figured it's a bloat (it did sound a bit hollow for a while), and after asking the only piggy vet available I did as he instructed and the hollow sound went away and the roundness was less.

This morning, I woke up to sounds of Frodo (this piggy) being chased by my other boar; which was unusual since they get along fine (though it is their teenage years) and last night both were having fun. Percy was completely aggressive, and Frodo was just squealing while running away, I put a screen in the middle of the cage to separate them while I checked the forum to see what might be the problem and Percy started biting the bars to get to Frodo again; Even ignoring the treats I put in his side of the cage. I went through the forum and figured a bath would be a good idea since Frodo had some of his hair tangled up as well, cut those hair and to the bath we went.

Now, I've noticed that he pretty much has no hair around his nipples and that both have become large (but not soar as he lets me touch them well enough). I'm not sure when this has started because I have been busy with finals these two weeks and haven't done their weekly body checks, but it wasn't there before that. The skin around the area is a bit flaky as well. The assumed bloat had also appeared in these two weeks. His nipples were originally black but most definitely not this big.
IMG-6908.jpgIMG-6911.jpg
As for eating and pooping, Last night he was eating and drinking fine (they're in my room so it's easy for me to check), and I think he's been pooping as well (his poop are smaller than my other boar -He's smaller in general- so I can see that he has been pooping). He's always been a bit lazy and skittish so he's usually in a hidey or somewhere unless I'm opening a plastic bag and he comes running out so I can't really tell if he's lethargic? He is my most vocal pig and he was yelling for food last night but for today I have yet to put him back in the cage.

Theres also these small areas where the hair loss is biggest that there seems to be really tiny bruises? You can see a picture of one here:
IMG-6915.jpg
I'd assume it's a cyst or that he's pregnant but he's a boar? I'm honestly at a loss?
I highly doubt any vet here could give me an answer and even if it was a cyst or tumor none have the experience needed to perform surgery.
Does anyone have any idea what it may be and whether I should put the two back in the same cage?
Here's a picture of his genitals just to make sure he is actually a he: (sorry for the grainy pics it's a bit hard to take them alone- also notice how bald he is on the legs- I for the life of me can not remember if he was originally like that or not- and the tiny flaky parts)
IMG-6917.jpg

He's still vocal, went to bring their pellet bag and he started screaming in my arms for one. He's eating that happily enough? Have yet to put him in their cage to see if he eats hay as well.
He's also pooping -painlessly-, he has poop in his towel to show to that.

So I put him in their cage (It's a 6x2 with two of everything) and it's an absolute nightmare. I put a screen in between but Percy has been biting the bars like crazy, digging at the fleece, It's like he's gone mad. Completely ignoring the treats and everything as well. Weirdly enough Frodo has also been going by the screen, Percy can't reach him but he still squeals as if he's in pain.
I honestly have no idea what to do.
On the bright side, Frodo is eating hay, so yay for small mercies?

What do you mean when you say aggressive? What exactly was Percy doing aside from chasing? And if Frodo was squeaking it was likely submissive squeaking. I would consider reintroducing them on neutral ground and thoroughly cleaning out their cage. It may be that Frodo actually wants to be with him.

I’ll tag @Wiebke and @VickiA but you’ll have to be patient.

What do you mean when you say aggressive? What exactly was Percy doing aside from chasing? And if Frodo was squeaking it was likely submissive squeaking. I would consider reintroducing them on neutral ground and thoroughly cleaning out their cage. It may be that Frodo actually wants to be with him.

I’ll tag @Wiebke and @VickiA but you’ll have to be patient.
I took a recording of the squeaking and will post as soon as I figure out how to do that.
The usual rumbling and following is much meeker (and slower), this was just full on chasing and attempting to bite? Very similar to how my crazy hamsters used to chase each other and fight. Percy pretty much ignored all the treats I was offering and decided to go chase Frodo instead, and since the moment I separated them he's been biting the bars and actually moving the screen.
Right now Frodo is also biting the bars so maybe you're right about the wanting to be with each other part?
I'll try re-introducing them on neutral ground, thank you for your reply!

How are you sure he was trying to bite and not mount? Chasing is part of normal dominance behaviour. You have to be careful not to step in too early. And given they’re in their teens this will happen. Have a read of the guide below and see where their behaviour sat.

If you did a video you’ll have to upload it to a third party site like YouTube or Vimeo then post the link here. I don’t know how you can attach voice notes though.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

When you reintroduce make sure you only put a pile of hay in the cage. No hides etc.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

PS treats and toys won’t distract a piggy. They generally ignore toys anyway.

How are you sure he was trying to bite and not mount? Chasing is part of normal dominance behaviour. You have to be careful not to step in too early. And given they’re in their teens this will happen. Have a read of the guide below and see where their behaviour sat.

If you did a video you’ll have to upload it to a third party site like YouTube or Vimeo then post the link here. I don’t know how you can attach voice notes though.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

When you reintroduce make sure you only put a pile of hay in the cage. No hides etc.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I'm not 100% sure, but if it was mounting he'd go at him from the behind right?
In the tent hidey I made he was kind of going at him from the side, as if he was trying to bite his leg?
Honestly the biggest reason I was alarmed is that I usually sleep through their rumbling and minor squeaking, but this time it had gotten really loud and woke me up. I let them be for like 2 hours and they were still at it so I figured I might as well separate them while figuring out what to do.
Here's an audio record:
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Looking through my old pictures I can see that he definitely had hair on his stomach and legs.
Now it's very thin and pretty bald as you can see in the pictures, not really sure what's causing that either :no:
His nipples were also smaller, though the pictures are from when he was 30 days old so maybe he just grew bigger nipples? But with all the other things going on I don't really think it's a coincidence :(

That’s submissive squeaking.

When my late Ellen used to Mount when she was in season or just asserting her dominance, she would Mount her cage mates heads
That's such a relief!
I've already reintroduced them and there has been no fighting for now so hopefully this part of my worries is just the hormones!

Mounting can be from all angles, not just the back. Fighting is quite distinct as well - a flying fur ball. So that word should be used carefully. I’m very glad they’ve gone back together okay though. Leave them in the pen for the day and thoroughly clean their cage. Rearrange and make sure you don’t use any hides with one exit only. If you don’t have any with two, you can use cardboard boxes and cut in two exits.

I could be wrong (and hope I am) and don't want to cause alarm but Frodo looks like a sow to me. Which would explain the swollen belly and enlarged nipples if pregnant. @Wiebke @furryfriends (TEAS) @VickiA

Hi!

I would also recommend to double-check the gender. It is impossible to call it just from the pictures as I cannot check the inside of the slit, feel for the presence of the penis shaft and try to express a penis. Just to be on the safe side, please conduct a hands-on examination.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Hi!

I would also recommend to double-check the gender. It is impossible to call it just from the pictures as I cannot check the inside of the slit, feel for the presence of the penis shaft and try to express a penis. Just to be on the safe side, please conduct a hands-on examination.
Illustrated Sexing Guide
I'm going to try this now..... I really really really hope he's still a he 😭

Back