• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Over 2 months and still no nail growth!

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I just wanted to ask a quick question about Stubbins.
Her nails are still not growing! They are super short despite the fact that they haven't been cut in over two months!
I have been waiting for her nails to grow so that I can cut them, but they are still tiny. :(
I tried doing some research about why this may be, but I have had no luck.
Any thoughts as to why her nails are not growing?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi! :)
I just wanted to ask a quick question about Stubbins.
Her nails are still not growing! They are super short despite the fact that they haven't been cut in over two months!
I have been waiting for her nails to grow so that I can cut them, but they are still tiny. :(
I tried doing some research about why this may be, but I have had no luck.
Any thoughts as to why her nails are not growing?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi!

Please don't fret. Nails grow out when they grow out; the time can vary massively individually.
I've had piggies whose nails on their front paws didn't grow out until they were 10 months old. In fact, Nia's nails were razor sharp but so short you couldn't even snip the very tip off, so for the first month I ended with quite a few scratchs even from the most careful handling. Another adoptee was fully grown (at least 14 months) with a ca. 10 months daughter when her nails started to grow out. Usually the nails at the back start growing before the nails at the front.

In any way, it doesn't matter to your piggies one bit; their mobility is only restricted when nails overgrow badly. Nails are definitely too long when your piggy stops running around.

I hope that helps you?

Thank you so much!
This was such a relief to hear!
Now that Stubbins has recovered, I don't think that I can deal with any more piggy illness for a little while! I guess that's their job, though. Keeping their slave on her toes...😅

Thank you so much!
This was such a relief to hear!
Now that Stubbins has recovered, I don't think that I can deal with any more piggy illness for a little while! I guess that's their job, though. Keeping their slave on her toes...😅

In my experience illness and death are like London buses - you get several in close succession and then nothing for ages... :mal:

Back