• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Over Feeding My Piggy?? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Le Rendu6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think I am feeding my piggies too much! I give 2 piggies a big bowl of food each in the morning and night along with a bowl of lettuce and the odd carrot. They also have plenty of hay. They are growing very fast, is this normal ?

I think I am feeding my piggies too much! I give 2 piggies a big bowl of food each in the morning and night along with a bowl of lettuce and the odd carrot. They also have plenty of hay. They are growing very fast, is this normal ?

You may find this thread here helpful, as it lists in detail just how much and how often you can feed all food categories; I have written it specifically for piggy newbies who find the advice out there very confusing. Young guinea pigs grow quite quickly during the first few months. This slows down later.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

You may find this thread here helpful, as it lists in detail just how much and how often you can feed all food categories; I have written it specifically for piggy newbies who find the advice out there very confusing. Young guinea pigs grow quite quickly during the first few months. This slows down later.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
Just a quick one, how often can I feed lettuce? And how often would you recommend

Lettuce isn't particularly nutritious any many forum members don't feed their guinea pigs it at all. I would only give it occasionally if I were you. Iceberg lettuce should never be fed

Coriander, savoy cabbage, peppers, green beans and cucumber are what I give mine. Twice a day. Small portions. A green bean each, a cucumber slice each, half a pepper divided by four piggies, half a savoy cabbage leaf to give you a rough idea, again this is x2.

This is what I gave my piggies for breakfast yesterday. In the bowl, you can see baby sweetcorn, broccoli, baby leaf lettuce, 2 pieces of apple, two pieces of kale stalk, small pieces of kale leaf, small pieces of cucumber, spinach, carrot, parsnip, celery and yellow pepper and a piece of baby tomato. They might have red pepper instead of tomato, or red lettuce instead of baby leaf, or cabbage instead of kale. One day they might have this and the next day, something else. Sometimes I will add some dry dandelion or plantain. IN the summer, I add dandelion heads and/or leaves, or plantain leaves, chopped up. I will add daisies too if I can find enough. It all depends on what I have got in the fridge and what is available in the shops. It is very rare that anything in left in the bowl, although I know one or two of my piggies don't like celery. I used to wonder if I was feeding too much, until I saw the heaped bowl of veg that another member gave to his/her piggies!

fIMG_4109.JPG

Just a quick one, how often can I feed lettuce? And how often would you recommend

I would feed lettuce not more than twice a week. Stay off nutritionally valueliss iceberg lettuce. You can find more information as to what you can feed how often in the link I have given you - including how much over all. it is well worth having a read through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back