• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Overactive Grease Gland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Over I'd say the last two days Wyatt's grease gland has turned nuclear for some reason. Now I'm used to smelly boys but this is off the chart and its come on all of a sudden, he's even got yellow staining around the grease gland now too. There's no sign of irritation and it gets regular maintenance, the gland itself doesn't look that grotty either, and the smell isn't from any other private parts either as I do a weekly clean and hes always the tidest chap I've ever seen down there. They're due a bath as soon as we've got a quiet weekend with some warm weather so I'll be giving it a thorough clean then but I'm just stumped as to why its suddenly come on. He's not long turned 1 so could it just be hormones/maturity? I'd have thought any big changes like that would have happened by now!
The only thing that has changed that I can think of is that they went out on the grass on Tuesday for the first time this year?

gogoguineas

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In my experience I'd say age related, some boys are super stinky, others not so much, and some just do the pongy smell when they're over excited. I have one boy who is pretty clean but makes a stink when he's being dominant and dragging his bum everywhere lol. As far as I know regular cleaning is about as much as you can do but keep an eye on the area, if it looks red at all get a vets opinion too .

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hm, perhaps a bit of age and spring fever then perhaps! Stinky little so and so. He is very dominant so I can't see much escape from the stink in the future if this is how its going to be! We're going to need nose pegs :vom:

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's not even always a boar problem... Sundae is a girl and her grease gland is in overdrive lately. I just keep spot-cleaning the area for her. In the past she's had her grease-gland flare up and then go back to normal, so I'm hoping this will be the same.

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
awww, poor wee reeker.
I think Stanley is about 1 and his grease gland is actual RANK. I had to scrub him 3 times to get most of it off. He was strutting about like he was prince charming while he was up to his neck in grease and absolutely hummin'!
The day I got him he spent the whole of it being a total sex pest wolf whistling over at Luna with his hair standing on end and a big blob of grease matted into his fur that he'd managed to get half way up his back.....
so sexy.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Freela you give me hope! It hasn't actually been quite as non stop smelly since yesterday come to think of it.

Such charming little creatures!

Amyscoobybarnie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I also have a piggy with overactive grease gland. About a year ago they had a little trip to the vets (Unrelated) but the topic came up, at the time they were babies and not as bad but the vet adviced me that if it does get bad they sometimes can do something for it (Depending on age/ serenity/ whether causing any additional issues with piggy). So yes something can be done but I don't think vets will do anything unless causing harm to piggy as they are small animals and as long as living a happy life they are best not tampered with. I just use piggy friendly grooming wipes and a tooth brush, tends to make it a little easier and prevent (try) fur getting tangled because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.