• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Overdosed on baytril

Thank you for your reply.
Joey is roughly 3/4 years old and he weighs 1220 last weigh in. He's bleeding when peeing I believe. The vet took an x-ray and there was no stones and he took a pee sample. There was nothing wrong other than what seemed to be an infection I believe he said.

So I haven't given him far too much? I'm a little confused on the syringe measurements. Is it the little tiny lines? Or the larger numbers?

Thank you so much for replying. I just gave him a top-up of some hay. I'll be keeping a close watch on him.

Hi!

Is it a normal 1 ml syringe with black markings you are using? Can you please post a picture of the syringe you are using.

It is still a bit on the high side (for that weight, I have usually seen about 2 x 0.5 ml of baytril prescribed) but it is not so high that it should cause the kind of side effects and it should certainly not be high enough to cause any kidney damage.

All the best!

Hi!

Is it a normal 1 ml syringe with black markings you are using? Can you please post a picture of the syringe you are using.

It is still a bit on the high side (for that weight, I have usually seen about 2 x 0.5 ml of baytril prescribed) but it is not so high that it should cause the kind of side effects and it should certainly not be high enough to cause any kidney damage.

All the best!
0235BEF9-7244-47B6-A580-01BCC54DABAA.jpeg

here’s a photo. I included the bottle in case it helped

thank you

Thank you for your reply.
Joey is roughly 3/4 years old and he weighs 1220 last weigh in. He's bleeding when peeing I believe. The vet took an x-ray and there was no stones and he took a pee sample. There was nothing wrong other than what seemed to be an infection I believe he said.

So I haven't given him far too much? I'm a little confused on the syringe measurements. Is it the little tiny lines? Or the larger numbers?

Thank you so much for replying. I just gave him a top-up of some hay. I'll be keeping a close watch on him.
Please dont worry- 0.07mls (the little lines on a 1ml syringe) is far too little to have any effect, my piggies have regularly had 0.5mls (the big lines, ie half a 1ml syringe full) prescribed twice a day. Baytril is usually very safe and well tolerated- but like all antibiotics may affect gut function. Giving a probiotic like fibreplex or pro-C an hour or two after the antibiotic can help.
That bottle does say 0.07mls which is really too low to do anything... I would query that, or request a second opinion from another vet? But 0.7mls should not be harmful at any rate, a bit high maybe closer to the usual dosing range than 0.07mls!

Please dont worry- 0.07mls (the little lines on a 1ml syringe) is far too little to have any effect, my piggies have regularly had 0.5mls (the big lines, ie half a 1ml syringe full) prescribed twice a day. Baytril is usually very safe and well tolerated- but like all antibiotics may affect gut function. Giving a probiotic like fibreplex or pro-C an hour or two after the antibiotic can help.
That bottle does say 0.07mls which is really too low to do anything... I would query that, or request a second opinion from another vet? But 0.7mls should not be harmful at any rate, a bit high maybe closer to the usual dosing range than 0.07mls!
Yeah. I didnt give him the little lines. I gave him the large 0.7 mistakenly twice which is why I worried I’ve overdosed him when it was supposed to be the smaller lines.

I also have this bottle to give him. I didn’t get to ask the vet whether to continue it or not but the receptionist said to… however she’s not a vet just a young lady in her 20s so I would rather know from the vet whether to continue with it or if it needs to be in conjunction with the baytril.

150DB935-A7BC-4336-824C-7DFA07844301.jpeg

I'm still waiting on a phone call from the vet.

Hopefully vet can advise soon about meds.
Joey suddenly not moving and puffed up might be to do with what was wrong originally, and might need checked by vet? Sometimes easier for vet to diagnose and treat correctly, when more new symptoms appear.

I cant read that either, but cyste... something is usually something to ease bladder inflammation.
Did he get prescribed pain relief too, that would be loxicom or metacam (different brand names for the same standard piggy safe anti-inflammatory pain relief medicine meloxicam) ?
If not then he may just be understandably showing signs of pain and discomfort...
I hope the vet gets back to you soon x

I cant read that either, but cyste... something is usually something to ease bladder inflammation.
Did he get prescribed pain relief too, that would be loxicom or metacam (different brand names for the same standard piggy safe anti-inflammatory pain relief medicine meloxicam) ?
If not then he may just be understandably showing signs of pain and discomfort...
I hope the vet gets back to you soon x
He was only given the two I posted.

so Hopefully he’s just uncomfortable rather than I have hurt him with the baytril?

thank you. I hope so too. I feed them their veg at 2pm every day so I’m going to keep a watch on him then. He’s not leaving his little house but I may have to move him as I don’t want him to sit in a wet patch.

He was only given the two I posted.

so Hopefully he’s just uncomfortable rather than I have hurt him with the baytril?

thank you. I hope so too. I feed them their veg at 2pm every day so I’m going to keep a watch on him then. He’s not leaving his little house but I may have to move him as I don’t want him to sit in a wet patch.
I'm no expert but I think puffed up and not moving could be significant pain? I wonder whether what was originally wrong with him is becoming more urgent? Hope he eats his veg 🤞

I'm no expert but I think puffed up and not moving could be significant pain? I wonder whether was was originally wrong with him is becoming more urgent? Hope he eats his veg 🤞
Yeah I'm not sure. He can move, it just seems he doesn’t want to as it seems to be hurting his back area. I imagine it might be sore.

Luckily he is bright eyed and my house is super cold so it could also be that not helping. I’ve just turned on the heating to warm it up a little as I’m sat shivering myself ^^;

Yeah. I didnt give him the little lines. I gave him the large 0.7 mistakenly twice which is why I worried I’ve overdosed him when it was supposed to be the smaller lines.

I also have this bottle to give him. I didn’t get to ask the vet whether to continue it or not but the receptionist said to… however she’s not a vet just a young lady in her 20s so I would rather know from the vet whether to continue with it or if it needs to be in conjunction with the baytril.

View attachment 187803

I'm still waiting on a phone call from the vet.

That reads cystophan to me, as I guessed in my first post. Perfectly fine to give a piggy with urinary tract issues as the glucosamine will support the beleaguered natural glucosamine coating of the walls of the urinary tract that prevents the highly corrosive urine from coming into painful contact with raw tissue. It may take a few weeks to build up but it will add immensely to the comfort inside.

Some piggies can suffer total loss of appetite from baytril (although an adverse reaction is possible to any antibiotic). If that is the case, please discuss with your vet and see whether switching to sulfatrim (i.e. licensed unflavoured adult septrin/bactrim) may be best. You will need to step in with syringe feeding and probiotic support in this case.

That reads cystophan to me, as I guessed in my first post. Perfectly fine to give a piggy with urinary tract issues as the glucosamine will support the beleaguered natural glucosamine coating of the walls of the urinary tract that prevents the highly corrosive urine from coming into painful contact with raw tissue. It may take a few weeks to build up but it will add immensely to the comfort inside.

Some piggies can suffer total loss of appetite from baytril (although an adverse reaction is possible to any antibiotic). If that is the case, please discuss with your vet and see whether switching to sulfatrim (i.e. licensed unflavoured adult septrin/bactrim) may be best. You will need to step in with syringe feeding and probiotic support in this case.
Thank you. I just got off the phone with the vet but as Joey has suddenly started walking around and is eating they told me to monitor him and if there's any changes to give a call.

I asked about the cystophan and they said to continue with it so I'll give him some in a few hours. He is walking around easier than last night but with a slight wobble.

Just trying to figure out how to post a video :)

To post a video you have to upload it somewhere else (such as YouTube or Vimeo) and post the link here. Hope he’s better soon.

Back