• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Overfeeding Lettuce and Pellets

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Just want to ask if it's bad to give my 7 week old girl too much lettuce green?
She's just too obsessed with it.
Also, I noticed that she also likes pellets but she can't finish everything in her bowl.
She eats Alfalfa Hay but also can't finish a bowl of it.

Too much lettuce can cause runny poos . Try feeding red bell pepper, high vit c👍

Pellets, you only need to feed one tablespoon per pig per day.

And alfalfa i wouldnt worry about. Young pigs can eat it for the high calcium, but i never fed it to mine and they are fine. Timothy hay is the best, high in fibre and good for digestion

I have no experience with a 7week old as I got mine when they were 12 weeks.

When you say too much lettuce? How many leaves?
How much does she weigh?
Also, Is she still with mum or alone?

I have no experience with a 7week old as I got mine when they were 12 weeks.

When you say too much lettuce? How many leaves?
How much does she weigh?
Also, Is she still with mum or alone?

She could down 2 big leaves in one seating and I think she could eat more.
Usually, I give her a big leaf in the morning, around 4am before I prepare for work and I give her a couple of big leaves in the afternoon, around 5-6 pm when I get home from work.
And no, I got her from a breeder and I haven't weighed her yet since she doesn't like to be lifted, I've just recently got her to let me pet her head.

I know you have to introduce veggies gradually in small amounts at first but not sure with her being so young, maybe someone else can help. Their diet needs to be 80% hay. You can search the forum for a feeding guide.

Guinea pigs like to be kept in pairs or more so she’s really needs friend. Xx

Are you making sure shes getting vit c atall? Try swapping high vit c veggies over from lettuce. I dont know if you know, but guinea pigs get scurvy if they lack vit c. I'm only saying this because you only mention lettuce. It doesnt sound like your way over feeding it, may be a bit much for a young pig, which lettuce is it?

I know you have to introduce veggies gradually in small amounts at first but not sure with her being so young, maybe someone else can help. Their diet needs to be 80% hay. You can search the forum for a feeding guide.

Guinea pigs like to be kept in pairs or more so she’s really needs friend. Xx

I'm still sourcing for a legit breeder to get her a bestie, but I'm thinking if I could afford it since I'm actually not allowed to have pets in the building and I'm thinking that they might produce too much noise (Wheeking) and I'll be kicked out of my place lol.
She eats Alfalfa but not as much as she loves eating her lettuce.

Are you making sure shes getting vit c atall? Try swapping high vit c veggies over from lettuce. I dont know if you know, but guinea pigs get scurvy if they lack vit c. I'm only saying this because you only mention lettuce. It doesnt sound like your way over feeding it, may be a bit much for a young pig, which lettuce is it?

She only likes Lettuce, a bit of cabbage, Chinese Pak Choi and Apples.
I tried to make her take Children's Vit C drop but she doesn't like it and would run away and hide lol

I would try introducing some better veg likr red bell pepper, green bell peppers. Buy timothy hay and use a bit of alfalfa,

Your going to run into lack of vit c problems, if you stop the lettuce she should start eating better veg. They will just choose lettuce, they are like kids wanting sweets over dinner

I would try introducing some better veg likr red bell pepper, green bell peppers. Buy timothy hay and use a bit of alfalfa,

She eats her Alfalfa hay but not much and she declines bell peppers, both red and green.

I'm tagging a member in with great experience with young guinea pigs for you. @Wiebke. I'm only telling you what i think rather than what i know you should do for a fact

I'm still sourcing for a legit breeder to get her a bestie, but I'm thinking if I could afford it since I'm actually not allowed to have pets in the building and I'm thinking that they might produce too much noise (Wheeking) and I'll be kicked out of my place lol.
She eats Alfalfa but not as much as she loves eating her lettuce.
Having 2 shouldn’t cost too much more and she’ll definitely benefit having a friend. They’re not usually that noisy. Avoid iceberg lettuce, little gem and romaine are ok. Have you tried cucumber? I’d make sure she’s getting her hay first xx

Having 2 shouldn’t cost too much more and she’ll definitely benefit having a friend. They’re not usually that noisy. Avoid iceberg lettuce, little gem and romaine are ok. Have you tried cucumber? I’d make sure she’s getting her hay first xx

It's not the cost actually, I'm just worried about the noise 2 piggies could make lol.
She wheeks really bad whenever she sees me near the dining table or when she hears the fridge open lol.
I only feed her Lettuce green since that's what the safest type based on reading and she doesn't like cucumbers.
I make sure she has plenty of hay and she's starting to eat it compared to weeks before when I first got her.

You’ll have to just persevere with regards to the pepper. Try the yellow and if she still doesn’t eat it, I would stop the lettuce and give her pepper and cucumber. I think she should eventually eat it. Also, apple should be given as a treat and not every day.

As for noise, they’re not generally that noisy so you should be fine.

You’ll have to just persevere with regards to the pepper. Try the yellow and if she still doesn’t eat it, I would stop the lettuce and give her pepper and cucumber. I think she should eventually eat it. Also, apple should be given as a treat and not every day.

As for noise, they’re not generally that noisy so you should be fine.

I only give a small chunk of apple once a week, read fruits aren't supposed to be given on a regular basis as they are high in sugar.

I'll try bell peppers again. She's a very picky eater.

they’re like children sometimes with their fussiness! Our girls didn’t like celery but I stuck to it and they will now eat it! Same with the pellets they’re now on.
Good luck.

they’re like children sometimes with their fussiness! Our girls didn’t like celery but I stuck to it and they will now eat it! Same with the pellets they’re now on.
Good luck.

I got to make her eat her Alfalfa Hay but I don't think she's eating enough. I would want to just leave Hay in her cage for a day and no pellets but I'm scared she might starved :(

Have you tried her on another type of hay? It may be she would prefer something else. When you put the hay in (say a handful), how long before she’s eaten it all?

On another note, young piggies learn what to eat from older piggies around them. You need to get her a friend soon. Can you not go back to the breeder you got her from?

Back