Overgrooming

juliab

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have a three year old guinea pig named Abraham and he has been over-grooming for about a week and a half now. About two weeks ago his cage mate was diagnosed with pneumonia so we had to separate them for treatment, and he passed away last night so Abraham has been going through a grieving process. He is still eating and drinking and wants attention, but he has licked off almost all of the fur on his back two feet. I know it is partly because he is stressed from being all alone but he absolutely hates being taken out of the cage and I can’t exactly crawl in there with him, so I’m not entirely sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a three year old guinea pig named Abraham and he has been over-grooming for about a week and a half now. About two weeks ago his cage mate was diagnosed with pneumonia so we had to separate them for treatment, and he passed away last night so Abraham has been going through a grieving process. He is still eating and drinking and wants attention, but he has licked off almost all of the fur on his back two feet. I know it is partly because he is stressed from being all alone but he absolutely hates being taken out of the cage and I can’t exactly crawl in there with him, so I’m not entirely sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please have Abraham vet checked in case the overgrooming/barbering is caused by a health issue (pain or discomfort from arthritis, skin parasites or fungal due with a lowered immune system as a result of the loss. It requires a hands-on examination, so please do not treat on spec and make things unintentionally worse instead of better. It is always a difficult time for you as well as your remaining companion. :(
Barbering ( Eating Hair)
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

juliab

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please have Abraham vet checked in case the overgrooming/barbering is caused by a health issue (pain or discomfort from arthritis, skin parasites or fungal due with a lowered immune system as a result of the loss. It requires a hands-on examination, so please do not treat on spec and make thing unintentionally worse instead of better. It is always a difficult time for you as well as your remaining companion. :(
Barbering ( Eating Hair)
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
We just made a vet appointment, thank you for the advice and the articles!