• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Overly Skiddish -- Plainly Petrified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I became a guinea pig mommy 2years ago and the 2 males I got were amazing ! Still have one.
I then picked up 2 females from a lady and her 2 daughters : cinnamon/white color.. Both extremely scared of humans -- can't say how they were treated but it was enough for me to Rehome them, as I didn't see any possibility of improvement (or I lacked the desire to have patience.. Not enough time ) they went to a great GP outdoor-run I trusted was ideal for them to be with other gals.
So a month ago a friend passed Jewel to me -( per landlord request )
.. She's Paranoid scared and purely petrified of humans ... Just runs and hides like a maniac.. As if I'm gonna eat her! The owner I got her from says she was like that from the start when he got her young at the pet store. From interacting with him, I could tell he didn't cause her more strain. He's a patient gentle man..
So I then thought "maybe that's how females are?" But no--- my white longhair girl (avatar) is super awesome
..My honest opinion?...it's not a good pet ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Please remember that it isn't the guinea pigs fault that she is skittish and please do not have a killed.

It can take months, even longer for guinea pigs to become tame. You need to give her time and take things gentle with her. Talk to her softly and start off with trying to touch her nose and offer her fresh veg from your hands.

If you generally can not look after her, please, please surrender her to a rescue. Please do not cause her any harm by having her fed to a snake or any other put down. It isn't her fault that she is like this.

Hi! Guinea pigs are prey animals, with prey animal instincts. They are NOT breathing instant cuddly toys. If they are mishandled, manhandled/not interacted with or neglected, then they may never learn to trust. Building up a bond of trust takes a lot of time, patience and persistence to work past their traumas, as they have quite obviously not being cared for appropriately. You will also have to learn to think from a guinea pig's perspective and not just from your own human desires.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

If you are not willing or able to do this (it is going to take months and in bad cases can take a piggy's lifetime), please do not get any more guinea pigs from freed-ads and contact a no-kill animal rescue or shelter for the ones that you obviously do not feel that you can interact with in the way you wish to. Here is a list of no-kill shelters for your state. Sadly, there is no specific guinea pig rescue that we can point you to. http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Utah/

There are many aspects to skittishness. The main one as mentioned is that they are prey animals and the instinct to flee has never left them through domestication.
Their early lives can have a huge affect on how they trust humans. It's not always abuse that makes a guinea pig scared, it is very often lack of interaction, and the only cure for this is - interaction, of a patient and loving kind. As mentioned it can take from a few weeks to years for a guinea pig to finally trust. They also have longer memories than is often assumed, and things in their past can affect them for a long time.

We choose to live with an animal. The animal does not choose us (except sometimes with cats or other strays). We need to accept that they may not behave the way we would like, and that they all have different personalities.

Your post sounds like one of pure frustration and getting this off your chest. Guinea pigs are not for everyone, it's not a crime to feel disappointed, but now is the time to see from your pet's point of view and decide what is best. There are many shelters available, and people here can help recommend one if you would like. Remember your pet didn't chose to be this way, she is simply doing what comes natural to her, but her future is entirely in your hands and is relying on you to help her and keep her safe, even if she has (unintentionally) disappointed you.

All piggies are different. It is not the piggies fault it feels anxious/nervous. I have 1 skittish piggy and it has taken around 8 months since rescuing her for her to stand up at the cage and beg for food, but she is still skittish a lot of the time. You need to accept that this is the way your piggy may always be and give her a happy life despite that.

PleSe feel free to come get her - you guys are Not science or biologist minded people, it's not inhumane, it's natural. Do you know how the natural world works? The beautiful world before humans came into it as we are today? And if I'm not allowed to talk level headed with rational reason ... Please remove me immediately!

Just tried to send the ungrateful prick a message but thankfully he/she has been banned. Good work boss :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back