• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Overweight piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
?/I'm sorry if this is a bit of a ramble I would like some advice and feed back if possible. I have already formed my own opinions, some others would be gratefully recieved. My big girl Midge has been a bit quiet of late , not so active her fur has been fluffed up on occasion and her back end has changed shape slightly. She has become a little bit more 'light bulb' shape. I was a bit concerned about this as 2 of my other girls have suffered from cystic ovaries. I made a vets appt but unfortunatly I could't attend after being ill so my daughter went with her dad. At the surgery I attend there are about 6 vets and only 2 or 3 I would trust with the girls. My daughter unfortunatly saw one of the others. After giving Midge an examination he declared there was nothing wrong with her she was just FAT. Now Midge has always been chunky weighing in at about 1400g but she can run around and jump about 3-4 inches to get back into her cage they have tunnels and boxes to play in as well as at least 6 hours floor time daily. He asked my daughter what they ate so she told him salad cabbage sweet corn and fruit once a week and that we fed gertie. Apparently we are feeding them too much and that they are fibre deficient. The gertie should also be left in the bowl until they have eaten everything. Now the girls (4) all live together so any salad they have is shared between them -there is no food bullying. they either have 1 apple or a banana shared between them once a week. They are bedded on fleece but have a mountain of hay to play with and to eat they also have timothy and a local grass based food called blueberry warren. He also said that the pigs optimum age was 3 1/2 yrs and if they survived past this age they would be lucky to get to six. Her cage friends weights are as -Panda 1470g, Maisie 1247g and Paprika 997g

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think we have a sixth sense or some weird bond with piggies and if you feel there is something wrong the only thing to put your mind at rest is going back to the vet's, is there anyway you can book in with a specific vet?

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can but because they were running behind and my OH is an impatient sort my daughter to keep the peace went with whoever was available but I think the next time I make an appt I will ask for it to be put on my notes that I dont want to see this particalar vet. The strange thing is its his practice.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Midge has become a lot more dominant towards her cage mates and does have her moments when she has to mount them but her general tempermant has changed shes become grumpier and if she is touched around the back end she often 'presents' herself. As for her being fat I'm not going to worry about it after looking at the pictures on the link, yes she does have a dewlap but there is no excess fat around the abdomen and she has no trouble moving around. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.