• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ozzy

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took Ozzy to the vets on Friday because his poos had gone very soft, borderline diarrhea, and his appetite had declined. He and Ralph had been having daily veg and grass prior to this so I stopped that too.

The vet said his abdomen was a bit tender as he reacted when he touched it. He prescribed Loxicom 0.3ml daily), Baytril (0.5ml daily) and Emeraid recovery feed (1ml every four hours). He wasn't my usual exotic vet (I stupidly didn't request by name when I booked the appointment) and having read concerns about Baytril on here I'm now a bit worried about giving it, am I just panicking for no reason?

Also, I hadn't heard of Emeraid and so would like to hear if anyone has been prescribed it before. It's packed with good stuff but 1ml every four hours seems such a small amount!

I gave Ozzy some grass this evening and he ate that but still concerned at his lack of appetite. Should I trust that the Emeraid is doing its job or move to Critical Care?

How have his poos been since the appointment? If his poo is soft you possibly have to stop the grass as well. Some piggies do react to baytril and it's advised that you give a probiotic either 2 hours before or 2 hours after the baytril. Please give the medicine as the vet has told you to do. Lots of piggies on here have had baytril. I've seem emeraid also mentioned on here and thats fine too. What did the vet say may be wrong?

How have his poos been since the appointment? If his poo is soft you possibly have to stop the grass as well. Some piggies do react to baytril and it's advised that you give a probiotic either 2 hours before or 2 hours after the baytril. Please give the medicine as the vet has told you to do. Lots of piggies on here have had baytril. I've seem emeraid also mentioned on here and thats fine too. What did the vet say may be wrong?
Really tiny and clumped together, and not many of them at all since Friday 😔 Yeah, I'll continue as prescribed and will definitely get some probiotic in asap. The vet didn't give a specific diagnosis, just mentioned his tender abdomen and that it was the possible onset of stasis.

Took Ozzy back to vets today and blood tests have shown raised kidney levels eg kidney failure 😔 So he and his pal Ralph are now both terminal cases 💔💔

I’m sorry about the news you got. Just enjoy today’s with both of them. 💕

Back