• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Paddy & Rohan - Day 14 - The Final Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is day 14 of our journey, and will be the last update for now. To those who have followed our journey, thank you. Also thank you to everyone who has given me advice and information throughout the past few weeks. :)

I have decided to change my boys diet gradually over the next few weeks to the IC diet, as this morning whilst cleaning out the cage I noticed some calcium deposits in my boys wee and what might possibly be bladder sludge (but I'm not sure). It was a powdery white substance, it didn't feel gritty.

Overall them seem like very happy boys, but I want them to be as healthy as possible too, so I have decided to swap their veggies over to those on the IC diet, and eventually once I'm nearly at the end of my burgess food stock I think I'm going to swap them over to vitakraft and see if that helps.

I also noticed that Paddy had a funny brownish stain just above his nose this morning. At first I was worried because I thought it might be blood, so I picked him up and checked him and Rohan. There were no signs of any blood, scabs or wounds anywhere and there was no blood or discharge coming from their noses. So I thought for a while about what could have caused it, and I narrowed it down to two possibilities. The first was that I put some brown paper into their cage last night for a bit of extra warmth in their bed. So Paddy could have rubbed himself against that. I have now removed it, just in case it was that. Or it could be the cat litter that I put in yesterday at the bottom of the boy's hay tray. The litter is cardboard based, dust extracted etc, so I thought it'd be safe, but just as a precaution I've removed it all from the cage, in case he's rubbed his nose in it or ate any of it. They've now got a puppy pee pad in the bottom of the tray. I'm going to monitor him to see how he gets on.

Excuse the blurry picture. You can just about make out the strange brown stain on Paddy's nose:
IMG_1851.JPG

As Paddy had a brown stain near his nose and Rohan had some veggie juice stains on his back (how he got stains on his back I'll never know), I decided to give both boys a bath. I prepared the sink and put about 1 cm of lukewarm water in it with some piggie shampoo and laid a flannel out on the bottom, so that they could grip. I had a jug of water ready to rinse them and a towel laid out for drying them. I bathed Paddy first, he was really good, he was nervous but didn't freak out completely, I was able to gently wipe the side of his face with the wet flannel and I think I've got rid of most of the stain, but I'm not 100% sure until he's dry. Then it was Rohan's turn, he was good too, he did panic more than Paddy and tried to jump out a few times, eventually he settled and used my hand as a platform to stand his front legs up on. So that was helpful as I was able to rinse his belly and back easily. I dried them both off and put them back in the cage. The heating is on in the house so hopefully they'll dry off fairly quickly. They are happily eating their pellets and hay now and it will soon be tea time. :) I was glad that I managed to bathe them alone and that they were brave boys. :D The thing i've yet to conquer is nail clipping, but hopefully my friend (who also owns piggies) might be visiting me at the weekend, so I'll get her to help me clip them as they are getting very sharp now.

Hopefully I've got rid of the weird brown stain on his nose.

Well done on getting through the stress of bathing two wriggly piggies! That is not an easy task. I have no idea what the brown mark could be but I would not use cat litter as guinea pigs are likely to eat it.

Indeed it is, I don't have a clue how they got there, it was pepper juice I think XD

Awwww :love:

Thank you so much for these updates, I am going to copy them and pull them into a reference thread over the next week also. It has been lovely to be allowed to share this journey with you and will help lots of new piggy owners in the future I am sure.

Hope to still see lots of your boys

I just had a major panic, Rohan had bluish/blackish lips just a moment ago when I had him out on the couch for a cuddle. Then I remembered he'd eaten a blueberry for tea, phew, panic over. I don't think I've stopped worrying about these boys since I got them XD

Well done Sarah on getting through the first two weeks of new guinea pig ownership. I know you have fallen completely head over heals for these boys, and they have been so lucky to find such a good home. I know from past experience with your other pets that they have landed in a fantastic caring home and won't want for anything! They are handsome boys, getting braver and braver each day :)

Laptime was a bit stressful today, I had both boys on the couch with me as well as towels and a cuddle pouch thingy, but Rohan kept trying to hide and kept jumping over Paddy which was stressing Paddy out. So we ended up having to have one each, mum took Paddy for a bit and I had Rowen. They don't seem to like being on the couch with us, hopefully they'll get more used to it with time, I keep trying to handle them at least twice a day, and get them out for floor time. So fingers crossed with time they'll get tamer and more confident. :)

Thanks Ruth that's a lovely thing to say, it's been fairly stressful to be honest as I think I've spent most of the two weeks worrying about various things. The more I read up about things, the more I panic and think that the boys are ill, but I guess that's just inexperience. It has been a great experience and I already couldn't imagine life without them now. :) I know that your girls couldn't have found a better home with you too, you were always good with animals, I remember all the pets that you had when we were growing up, great times. We should meet up sometime and have a guinea pig chat / catch up heehee. :D

Awwww :love:

Thank you so much for these updates, I am going to copy them and pull them into a reference thread over the next week also. It has been lovely to be allowed to share this journey with you and will help lots of new piggy owners in the future I am sure.

Hope to still see lots of your boys

Oh yes don't worry I'll still be posting photos and videos of my beauties and no doubt I'll be plaguing the health forum with my worries over the next couple of months. XD

Just a few more photos to finish off, sorry I couldn't add these above it'll no longer let me edit my first post. :)

Cuddles with Rohan: (He likes to climb up on me)
IMG_1857 RESIZED.jpg

Rohan squishing Paddy in the cuddle sack (poor Paddy!):
IMG_1861 RESIZED.jpg IMG_1862 RESIZED.jpg

Rohan's blueberry lips:

IMG_1863 RESIZED.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back