• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Paddy & Rohan - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, I just thought I'd share how we got on today. Our second day together. :)

The boys had a full fleece change today, that was a bit of an ordeal, I couldn't get the fleece to fold properly because it's so big, so I was faffing about with it for ages. Luckily they'd only weed in a few patches and the puppy training pads had soaked up all the urine, so the towels underneath were completely dry, so I didn't have to change those, just the dirty pads. Then after cleaning them I decided to hoover up the hay around the cage, big mistake. My poor boys nearly had a heart attack, naughty mummy frightening them to death! I was forgiven though at feeding time as they both took several items of veg off me and sat next to me whilst they were eating. :)

I decided to scoop their bed up gently whilst each of them were in it and place it gently on my knee. They each came out onto my knee and I stroked them gently. They were a little scared but it's the first time that I've done it, so I was expecting them to be. I'm going to try and stroke them whilst they are eating so that they get more used to being touched as they are still jumpy yet. They haven't got used to my mum yet as they run away from her when she comes in, but I know that that'll come with time, as I'm the one that feeds them.

I saw my first bum dance today, (is it called a rumble strutt?) from Paddy, as Rohan (who is the dominant boar) approached him and stole his pepper, naughty Rohan! :P

They've definitely been more active today, they keep popping out and having a go at the hay and the pellets. They definitely love their carrots, it seems they'll take one off me, even if they've just had one. :)

I also simply cannot believe how much these boys are pooing, a poo a minute it seems. :yikes:

Here's some photos of todays antics: (Sorry some pictures were pre poo pick)

IMG_1637 RESIZED.jpg IMG_1638 RESIZED.jpg IMG_1639 RESIZED.jpg View attachment 21659 IMG_1643 RESIZED.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1646 RESIZED.jpg
    IMG_1646 RESIZED.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I remove poops by hand. If they are afraid of the Hoover then you may like to try that?

I poo pick by hand at least twice per day when I feed them, but it's ended up being more than that as they are just always pooing. :)) It's just the hay that sticks to the fleece that's the problem as I don't want to put it in the washing machine if there's still bits of hay on it. I'll have to find a way of getting it off that's easier which doesn't involve the hoover. Or once they are more confident let mum take them in the other room for cuddle time whilst I hoover the fleece. Maybe that would work? I'm still figuring things out at the moment :)

You are doing great. Do you use wash bags for the fleece? That helps a lot. I sweep off hay with a brush but of course bits remain. I then wash my vet bed in a wash bag.

I've ordered a wash bag, but it hasn't come yet. Any other tips for getting hay off the fleece? I do brush it, but that takes forever and doesn't always get rid of all of it. I've also invested in one of those pet hair roller things which helps, but isn't 100% effective when you've got a very dirty fleece.

I've ordered a wash bag, but it hasn't come yet. Any other tips for getting hay off the fleece? I do brush it, but that takes forever and doesn't always get rid of all of it. I've also invested in one of those pet hair roller things which helps, but isn't 100% effective when you've got a very dirty fleece.
To be honest I have never ever been able to get rid of hay and just take what I can off it and bung it in the wash bag. I have given up trying. You can wash fleece in a duvet cover tied with a band while you wait for the wash bag.

Unfortunately there isn't much else to use. :(

Well my wash bag is on the way, so I'll start using that once I've got it. But until then I'll just have to brush like a maniac XD

Yes out of the pair Paddy is definitely braver and more relaxed. He is always the first to do everything, then he reassures Rohan and then Rohan has a go. :)

Well my wash bag is on the way, so I'll start using that once I've got it. But until then I'll just have to brush like a maniac XD

Yes out of the pair Paddy is definitely braver and more relaxed. He is always the first to do everything, then he reassures Rohan and then Rohan has a go. :)
Where does the name Rohan come from?

It's Irish I think, you could also spell it Rowen or Roein. I was inspired by the kingdom of Rohan from the Lord of the Rings film, I just liked the name. I'd already decided on Paddy, so I thought I'll have a Rohan as well, two irish boys. XD

It's Irish I think, you could also spell it Rowen or Roein. I was inspired by the kingdom of Rohan from the Lord of the Rings film, I just liked the name. I'd already decided on Paddy, so I thought I'll have a Rohan as well, two irish boys. XD
It is nice to have unusual names.

Oh yes, another thing that I noticed is that every now and then they sneeze, and they are scratching a bit too. Should I be worried or is this all normal behaviour? :)

Oh yes, another thing that I noticed is that every now and then they sneeze, and they are scratching a bit too. Should I be worried or is this all normal behaviour? :)
Guinea pigs do scratch. If it is non stop then they would need to see a vat. They do an odd sneeze too.

That's ok then, it's not been excessive, it's just every now and then. The sneezing just took me by surprise as I didn't know that they actually could sneeze. It was quite cute :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back