• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Paddy & Rohan - Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drezella

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Day three of our progress for anyone that is interested. :)

We had some good things and a bad thing happen today, but I'm learning from them so hopefully I'll be a better owner in the future. ;)

Well I went shopping today and bought a larger litter tray and a piggie igloo. I set them up in the cage and once I had Paddy dived straight into the new tray then did a little run and jump around. Then Rowen went upstairs into the igloo came back down and then ran and jumped around. I think they were popcorning? It was very cute and made me feel happy. I didn't managed to get it on film sadly, but hopefully there'll be a second event in the future. :)

They are getting more used to me poo picking now, and they come out when it's feeding time, but they still won't let me stroke them when they are eating. I keep feeding them veggies and they take them off me, but that's as far as we've got really. I managed to stroke Paddy a bit, but then once he realised that it was me he made a squeak noise and bucked my hand. So I don't think that he liked that, I'll keep trying though. XD

Later on Paddy went into the snuggle pouch bed, so I lifted the bed out and placed it in front of my knee. He came out onto my knee so I had a little cuddle. He was calm for about 30 seconds, then something must have spooked him as he jumped off my arm and ran behind the cage. He did it with such speed that I was really scared that he had hurt himself, but thankfully he hadn't. I tried to call him back, he did come but then ran off again as he was scared. He stood up beside the cage and was sniffing it, so I figured he wanted to go back in. I had to corner him and put him back into the cage. I put him upstairs so that he could be with Rowen and also to try and encourage him to come down the ramp so that he gets used to it. He was a very brave boy and went down the ramp. He settled down again once he was back in the cage. I didn't get chance to pick Rowen up, but will try to stroke him tomorrow. Rowen really seems to love the upstairs, he was up and down going into his new hut. :)

They have discovered that they can dig underneath the fleece layer, uh oh! So I found a few lovely presents underneath the fleece when I was cleaning it. They also have been tipping their bed over and moving it around the cage. I keep putting it right, then they'll go in and move it again back to how they like it, it's really funny. :p

It's slow progress but I'm hoping that I can tame then eventually, or at very least get them to trust me enough that they don't freak out when I lift their bed out of the cage. Any tips for taming are welcome. :D

Here's some videos and photos of today. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1662 RESIZED.jpg
    IMG_1662 RESIZED.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1667 RESIZED.jpg
    IMG_1667 RESIZED.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Aww, lovely little piggies!
Have you thought about putting some carpet on the ramp? I think they would slip on it as it is.

Hi, yes I have. I have a piece of carpet ready to go in if the boys struggle with it. At the moment they have both managed to go up and down it, so i thought I'd leave it as it is, then if they don't go upstairs very often I'll try adding it in and see if it makes a difference. The ramp has corrugated cardboard on it, so they have been gripping on that. I'l keep observing them and see how they get on, if not I'll put it in. :)

Aww do not worry. Piggies are very nervous creatures and very easily spooked. Quite a few piggies do not like being touched while they are eating. Taking vegetables from you is really positive.

They are getting more used to me being in the cage, as I virtually have to get into their cage to do the poo pick, they've discovered that they can dig under the fleece, so I've found a few poos on the under layers, and they keep tipping their house over. It's really funny actually, I'll adjust it then, they'll go and put it back how they want it. XD

Oh no not burrowers! It is a pain when they go under the bedding as they lie on urine.

I've tried to nip it in the bud by putting a large litter tray down and wedging the bed in so that they can't get underneath it. I've also bought an igloo which Rowen seems to really like, he must feel more secure in there as it's less exposed. So fingers crossed that that will work. :)

It is a shame when they burrow around!
It is annoying for us, and unhygienic for them. Little monkeys. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back