• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pain management

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello. :)
Unfortunately, Stubbins is not doing too well, and I am having a hard time coming up with any possible solutions. Any help is much appreciated!
Right now, Stubbins is on pain medication, but she still squeaks whenever she uses the restroom (pooping), and will sometimes even squeal quite loudly. I really don't know what to do. She has been on about eight different medications since May and has not had veggies in months. If the pain medication doesn't work, the vet wants to try some other procedures. I am really opposed to the idea of putting Stubbins under anesthesia again/operating on her, as I feel that it put a lot of stress on her last time. I am really lost. 😞
In addition, the vet bills are starting to become super expensive. I would do anything for my little girl, but the vets in my area all charge huge amounts of money and don't really seem open to offering discounts.
What do I do? Having a piggy with a severe medical issue for this long is highly stressful.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!

Does the vet know the cause of her pain while pooping?
Until that is found out, then it’s all a guessing game really. Carrying out investigations, even if it is under anaesthetic, may be your only option at finding out exactly what is going on

What pain medication is she being given?

This is a bit urgent. I just noticed Stubbins sort of gagging for about ten seconds. Do guinea pigs have a gag reflex? Is this something that I should be concerned about?
Thank you!

Piggies don’t gag, so you need to see if she has something stuck in her mouth and remove it.

:agr: Sometimes if my pigs have chewed on a piece of wood on their tunnel and get a piece of wood stuck between their front teeth they make a funny movement with their mouth when they’re trying to remove it.

Back