• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pain when Pooping & Peeing

sophiem92

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
We have a 4 year old boar who has been in some pain when going to the toilet.
He’s been seen by the vet a couple of times, they’ve done X-rays on him and also urine sample tests. The urine samples were clear and healthy, as is his bladder, and there’s no sign of any lumps, tumours, or anything else unusual. The only thing they found was a bit of arthritis in his knees.

He’s been prescribed with Loxicom and it has reduced the amount he’s squeaking when going to the toilet, but he still does it every now and again.

We’ve noticed he only squeaks in pain when passing urine and poo’s AT THE SAME TIME. So if he has just a wee, he’s absolutely fine, and if he has just a poo, he’s absolutely fine. But both at the same time, that’s when he squeaks and hunches in pain.

in himself he’s normal, eating plenty of food and running about, his poo’s are also very normal looking, nice and solid with a normal shape!

We’re just baffled at what this could possibly be so anyone with any ideas please send them our way!
Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Have your vets checked the genitalia for something stuck/ a big build up of hardened smegma or an infection in the penis shaft or (as you have an older boar) whether he could be suffering from impaction? It is all very closely packed together with the gut wrapping around the urinary and the reproductive tract and also the lower spine, so a pain issue around the gut can impact on the peeing and pooing.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

It gets a lot trickier when the most obvious culprits have been excluded (UTI, bacterial and sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) cystitis; bladder and kidney stones; arthritis in the lower spine etc). The genitalia are the area you haven't mentioned so it may be worth having a look at that or at least getting confirmation that they have been taken into consideration already.

sophiem92

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Have your vets checked the genitalia for something stuck/ a big build up of hardened smegma or an infection in the penis shaft or (as you have an older boar) whether he could be suffering from impaction? It is all very closely packed together with the gut wrapping around the urinary and the reproductive tract and also the lower spine, so a pain issue around the gut can impact on the peeing and pooing.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

It gets a lot trickier when the most obvious culprits have been excluded (UTI, bacterial and sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) cystitis; bladder and kidney stones; arthritis in the lower spine etc). The genitalia are the area you haven't mentioned so it may be worth having a look at that or at least getting confirmation that they have been taken into consideration already.
Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me!

Yes the vet cleaned around his penis and in his sac where build up can form as well, and we thought that may have solved the problem because there was some build up around those areas but unfortunately he still continued to squeak in pain.
I forgot to mention that in my post!

we really are running out of ideas for what this could possibly be :(

I don’t suppose it could be a gut problem at all?
with his poo’s being normal I’d say not but I have no idea!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very sorry, but your vets seem to have covered all the usual avenues and I don't have anything constructively to add.

It could (very unusually) sit in small changes to the gut walls right at the end or in surrounding area to the end of the gut that may not show up in a scan and certainly not in an x-ray and that will not be treatable as they are now. I would not expect anything to be wrong with the digestive process itself; this has more of the feeling that passing the poos and pees through a restriction is the issue - but what that could be I cannot even guess.

I am very sorry; it is always very difficult once you and your vet have covered all the usual bases (and by the sound of it they have been pretty thorough) and are still left with the mystery.