• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pain While Peeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinelli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our pig Jerry was neutered just over 2 weeks ago and seemingly coped very well with it. Recently though he's started making strange noises I can only describe as 'squawking' which seems to happen when he pees. He also raises his back end completely off the ground - standing up briefly if he was lying down initially. We've taken him to the vet who neutered him, and after feeling his stomach she agreed he was feeling some pain. He was put on Metacam and Ranetadine (in case it was a gut problem), although she thought it sounded more a urine infection/bladder stones. It's now 3 days later and we've been monitoring his urine, there's no sludge or other visible signs of a problem. The painkillers seemed to help a little, today the vet gave us Tramadol also. We've stopped using the gut stimulant as his bowels are certainly moving properly! He's lost around 90g weight since his operation, and his feeding is down to around 20g nuggets a day (from 30). He still loves his hay and veggies though (we are avoiding brassicas etc to avoid calcium build up). The vet wants to see how he goes on the the Tramadol and Metacam for a week unless he goes downhill.

Today we've noticed that when he squawks and lifts his back end he immediately starts scratching the groin area, although we can't see exactly where.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I realise it sounds like bladder stones but with the added itching and lack of deposits in the urine it complicates things slightly.

Any advice would be welcomed!

My boy Peanut Butter had to be neutered due to prostate problems. But he still squawked & raised his back end when pooping. Turned out he had an abscess on the neuter area. That was eventually sorted out with 2 drainings, metacam, tramadol & Zithromax anti-biotics. After that he was still squawking in pain when pooping. Had ultrasound, X-rays and blood work. The only thing that came up was his white blood cell count showed he was still fighting an infection somewhere. Another round of metacam, tramadol & Zithromax but for double the time finally seems to have sorted him, This was a 4 month battle in which he dropped from 1240 grams to 970, despite topping up with critical care, giving him pro-biotics & vegetarian glucosamine. One other thing that turned up as a result of constant anit-biotic use was that he developed a yeast infection as shown in his poop analysis. We cleared that up with a course of nilstat.

Unfortunately if my experience shows anything it is that one really needs to do a number of diagnosis tests to find out what is going on.

I would have the testicle area checked in case something is pressing on the urethra. The swelling from an abscess or an infection could be at the back of the area.

PS: If it is an abscess, I would recommend to ask your vet about prescribing Zithromax (azithromycin), as that is the best strong antibiotic with abscesses that occur after neutering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back