• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Painting Walls With Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
does anyone know if I can paint a wall with dulux with guinea pigs in the same room or do I need to move them? And if so how long until they can go back in? Thank you

Lol the title made me look XD

I also want to know this as our bungalow needs fully decorating. I know glass would be a bit much for them but it is for me as well, it makes me ill, so I'm going to look for the what do you call it stuff (Lol). Not sure about emulsion :/

Haha, yeh I have 2 long haired piggies who'd make a good brush lol. I want to paint the walls of our room where they are as they're still pink with cartoons from when my daughter was in there, so I want to paint it and then decorate the piggies wall for them!

I have no idea but the title of your thread had me laughing a lot. I am now imagining you painting the walls with a guinea pig dipped in paint instead of a brush - would be good for different textures I suppose!
I was picturing that too when I saw the thread title!

We painted a few rooms over Easter with Crown odour-free paint and, to be fair, it was totally fumeless. The white spirit we used to clean the brushes, on the other hand, gave me an asthma attack :( You can buy no-odour versions of this too though - would definitely recommend if you have no option but to decorate with the pigs in the house :)

I wish my guinea pigs would be a bit more helpful and paint our walls for us! Hadley has a lovely long 'tail' at the end that would make an excellent paintbrush! LOL!

Although I've never painted the actual room that they're in, I've painted the rest of the house with water-based paint and it never bothered them at all. I would be cautious with something oil-based, as those can really smell, but newer, water-based paints are pretty odourless. I had to temporarily move in with my grandparents when my parents painted their house with oil-based paints when I was a child because the paint gave me migraines and made me throw up, but even I am fine with water-based paints.

i'd always move them out of a room if you will be using anything like paint. i have heard that because their sense of smell is alot stronger, that ideally they shouldn't go back in the room for quite a while, weeks. not practical though.

when piggies or rabbits have a sudden gut stasis, with no obvious reason, apparently alot of vets will ask if you've had any building work going on, or have been doing any decorating, so from that i would think it can disrupt them more than we think.

and these reasons are why my house looks a total state! :))

Hehe awesome title. I had visions of you literally painting pictures of guinea pigs on your wall! :))

Personally, I would move them out. Just because the smell of paint is quite strong and it may upset them. I don't like the smell of paint so I can't imagine that piggies would be all that overjoyed with it. When I painted my piggies room, they moved out for a couple of days until the paint had dried and the smell had pretty much gone. It didn't take too long with the windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back