• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Paints and Varnish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend to me animal friendly paints and varnishes please?

Some say so on the tin but not all unfortunately ::)

The only thing I can suggest is phoning up the company - are there any helplines on the tin, or perhaps look on the internet?

Q

I had the same problem when I was building my cage...

In Germany, we use that seethrough varnish you use on childrens wooden toys. It is safe to chew on and everything, because little kids tend to bite into everything they can get hold of. Now, I went into all local DIY shops including B&Q, and they didnt have anything like that. They knew what I meant, but they never heard of it being sold here :o

In the end, I used Ronseal Quick Drying Woodstain, my nearest DIY shop rang them up for me and asked if its safe to use for pets.
They said yes, so I used it... well it sort of comes down to "do I believe everything they say or not"..

There is also a cheaper option of Woodstain from B&Qs own brand, which even says on the tub "pet friendly" or something. And a shop assistant told me she has rabbits and painted her hutches with it, she never had problems..

But if you really want to go for a proper varnish, the one for childrens wooden toys is what you should look out for. Tell me if you found any, please! Because i would love to use it again, but its too expensive to ship over here from Germany :( Too heavy...

Thanks for the advice, I've gone with the Ronseal woodstain like yourself Abnoba as several folks have recommended it now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back