• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pairing Our Young Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betkeboys3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
About a month ago we separated one of our 3 young boars, Reese, due to bullying. He is now healed and gaining weight again. He seems happy as he is talking, popcorning, and running around. We are wondering if it would be best to leave him alone or get him a buddy. There are no rescues nearby, so a pet store is our only option. Any advice welcome

About a month ago we separated one of our 3 young boars, Reese, due to bullying. He is now healed and gaining weight again. He seems happy as he is talking, popcorning, and running around. We are wondering if it would be best to leave him alone or get him a buddy. There are no rescues nearby, so a pet store is our only option. Any advice welcome
Guinea pigs are social animals so it really is essential he has company.Would it be possible to house him right next to your other 2? So the bars are touching? That way he will still get stimulation without being able to fight.If that's not possible then it would be an good idea to get him a friend of his own.Ill tag @Wiebke as she knows a lot more than me.

I had my boy in a separate part of the cage & he kept running up & down the divider & trying to get inside the other cage. He always slept the other side of the divider. In the end I felt guilty & got him a friend.

Hi! Rescues in the Midwest are sadly far and few in between. :(

Without access to a good rescue you have got these options:
- keep Reese as a next door neighbour to the other two boars with interaction and stimulation through the bars. This works as long as they can see each other to use body language and can touch noses and sniff each other. Living alongside is much easier with C&C grid cages, as you would ideally have a little platform for them to meet in full sight in a traditional cage.
- or get a baby boar. You then have the risk of fall-outs/bullying once the little one hits the teenage months.
- adopting from free-ads. The risks are all on your side. Ideally you want to let any boars meet to see whether they get on before you commit - but that means that you have to ignore quarantine. You also need to check the gender; you'd be amazed how many people have got a mis-sexed piggy. Undisclosed health issues can lead to a steep learning curve. People keen to get rid of a pet can be amazingly economic with the truth, as a number of forum member have found to their cost.

Thank you! We have their cages side by side as much as possible. They do spend lots of time socializing and touching noses Maybe we'll just stay with that for now, since the other options are so limited.

Thank you! We have had their cages next to one another & they visit one another often. Maybe we'll just stay with that for now

in my experience having 3 boars together is just bad news but the alternative is to put the cages together and let them socialize through the bars.
wait to see is the boar is happier is this doesn't work you could buy one from a pet store but usually the guinea pigs that are sold there are very ill and your vet bill will be very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back