• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pairing Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_ralph_sol

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi people!

I have recently posted a thread on here about my 3 boars not getting along. I decided to separate one so now I have a pair of Lunkarya brothers in one cage and my older Abyssian (King) in another, by himself.

Obviously, I do not want to keep King living on his own for long, as this is a temporary measure. So, I have decided that I am going to get him neutered (I work in a veterinary surgery myself and the vet here is more than happy that it is a safe routine procedure), however I do not know where to go from there. I would like to pair him with a female as I have heard they are much more likely to bond than males, however all the rescues I've looked at only have guinea pigs in pairs. All the other research I've done has proved that in my area (Hertfordshire), I can only get hold of a baby sow. King is a huge guinea pig, he weighs nearly 1.4 kilos and I would worry about pairing him with a baby as he might accidentally injure her.

So, I would like to rescue a piggy instead of buying one (adopt don't shop!) but I am struggling to find a rescue that has not already paired all their pigs up.

Suggestions please :D :D

Try our rescue locator for an approved rescue and give them a call. As piggies are herd animals most rescues won't promote themselves by advertising single pugs however, depending on what they have they may be able to home you a single pig to live with King.

Sometimes if a big rescue has happened then the rescue may have a large group of females living together where they may be happy to take one out. Alternatively, would you be able to consider spoiling King with 2 wives instead of one?

Ah okay!

I would love to spoil him with 2 wives! However my C&C cages are in my bedroom and already take up half of if so the biggest I can go is 2x4. I've been told that's fine for 2 piggies but is that maybe a bit small for 3 piggies? :)

Try our rescue locator for an approved rescue and give them a call. As piggies are herd animals most rescues won't promote themselves by advertising single pugs however, depending on what they have they may be able to home you a single pig to live with King.

Sometimes if a big rescue has happened then the rescue may have a large group of females living together where they may be happy to take one out. Alternatively, would you be able to consider spoiling King with 2 wives instead of one?

Ah okay!

I would love to spoil him with 2 wives! However my C&C cages are in my bedroom and already take up half of if so the biggest I can go is 2x4. I've been told that's fine for 2 piggies but is that maybe a bit small for 3 piggies? :)

Yes it would be too small for 3 piggies unfortunately, especially with King being such a big boy. I would just try calling rescues, you may be surprised.

Hi people!

I have recently posted a thread on here about my 3 boars not getting along. I decided to separate one so now I have a pair of Lunkarya brothers in one cage and my older Abyssian (King) in another, by himself.

Obviously, I do not want to keep King living on his own for long, as this is a temporary measure. So, I have decided that I am going to get him neutered (I work in a veterinary surgery myself and the vet here is more than happy that it is a safe routine procedure), however I do not know where to go from there. I would like to pair him with a female as I have heard they are much more likely to bond than males, however all the rescues I've looked at only have guinea pigs in pairs. All the other research I've done has proved that in my area (Hertfordshire), I can only get hold of a [you]baby[/you] sow. King is a huge guinea pig, he weighs nearly 1.4 kilos and I would worry about pairing him with a baby as he might accidentally injure her.

So, I would like to rescue a piggy instead of buying one (adopt don't shop!) but I am struggling to find a rescue that has not already paired all their pigs up.

Suggestions please :D :D

A baby sow is perfectly fine - he is not going to injure her! My 3 year old recently bereaved Carwyn has just been paired up with a 6 month old sow and her 6 weeks old companion. Little Heini is doing perfectly fine and follows her new husboar-cum-daddy everywhere! Youngsters are so much quicker and more agile. Whenever the chasing gets too much, Heini either jumps on a hidey roof or escapes through a tunnel that is too small for Carwyn.
Some boars are downright fatherly; my Bedo was a perfect nursemaid for the three 8 weeks old sanctuary sisters when they arrived from TEAS sanctuary!
Here is a video from Heini's and Carwyn's first free roam as a family:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...am-for-carwyn-and-his-two-young-wives.129184/

Please keep in mind that a boar living with a group of sows is involved in bringing up the babies; guinea pigs are wired to do that between them, irrespective of whose it is. Sows will nurse babies that are not theirs. size has nothing to do with caring for a baby. ;)

I know the rescue near us advertises pairs but they also say they offer a guinea pig dating service as they do often have lone piggies so fingers crossed the rescue near you has one. He's a handsome boy!

That is an adorable video! He isn't quick in the slightest so I'm sure he'd struggle to chase a baby! He's also a very gentle piggy which is probably why he was bullied by his step brothers :( so hopefully he would be very fathering :D
A baby sow is perfectly fine - he is not going to injure her! My 3 year old recently bereaved Carwyn has just been paired up with a 6 month old sow and her 6 weeks old companion. Little Heini is doing perfectly fine and follows her new husboar-cum-daddy everywhere! Youngsters are so much quicker and more agile. Whenever the chasing gets too much, Heini either jumps on a hidey roof or escapes through a tunnel that is too small for Carwyn.
Some boars are downright fatherly; my Bedo was a perfect nursemaid for the three 8 weeks old sanctuary sisters when they arrived from TEAS sanctuary!
Here is a video from Heini's and Carwyn's first free roam as a family:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...am-for-carwyn-and-his-two-young-wives.129184/

Please keep in mind that a boar living with a group of sows is involved in bringing up the babies; guinea pigs are wired to do that between them, irrespective of whose it is. Sows will nurse babies that are not theirs. size has nothing to do with caring for a baby. ;)

Does that mean he would be able to meet them himself beforehand? What's the name of the rescue? And thank you, he knows he's handsome too ;)

I know the rescue near us advertises pairs but they also say they offer a guinea pig dating service as they do often have lone piggies so fingers crossed the rescue near you has one. He's a handsome boy!

Your closest recommended rescue would be Milhaven in Keighley - they are VERY good and they offer dating for both genders. I cannot recommend them more warmly. You would in very safe hands there.Please be aware that not all rescues have all piggies listed; it is always worth contacting any good rescue that you have within your reach to enquire if you are looking for a companion for a single/bereaved piggy.
Here is a list of the rescues that we can guarantee for good standard and high experience; most of them offer dating at the rescue under expert supervision.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Does that mean he would be able to meet them himself beforehand? What's the name of the rescue? And thank you, he knows he's handsome too ;)

Have you contacted Hazelcroft Rescue? Based in Hertfordshire, St Albans. The are fab and will offer dating for both genders. Worth emailing to explain your situation. Not all the available piggies are up on website.

www.hazelcroftrescue.weebly.com

Have you contacted Hazelcroft Rescue? Based in Hertfordshire, St Albans. The are fab and will offer dating for both genders. Worth emailing to explain your situation. Not all the available piggies are up on website.

www.hazelcroftrescue.weebly.com
Well I'm a 10 minute drive from St Albans so that would be ideal. I did have a look on their website earlier today and they did only have a few pairs on their website, but if that's the case I will give them a tinkle. Thanks :D

Also, could someone tell me the minimum C&C cage size requirement for 2 piggies? 2x3 or 2x4? I've got another cage that is 2x4 that has got 2 piggies in it and they seem happy in that.

I think I'm going to be a crazy guinea pig lady soon lol!

Well I'm a 10 minute drive from St Albans so that would be ideal. I did have a look on their website earlier today and they did only have a few pairs on their website, but if that's the case I will give them a tinkle. Thanks :D

I know they have more available so definitely pop them an email. They are fab :) 5 of my 10 piggies are from Hazelcroft :luv:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back