• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Panacur?

The3LittlePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a piggy who developed a head tilt after having baytril for an upper trachea infection. We (as in, me and my vet) are uncertain if this is due to the infection spreading to the ear canal, due to the baytril, or from another cause. We have used an ear cleaner otomax which in my opinion made things worse if anything. He walks, eats and enjoys life just fine, but seems to have bad balance, and will lie on his side very often. He doesn't struggle to move about at all, but with flop off my knee, and if on uneven surface or in my arms. My vet suggested trying panacur to eliminate parasites. We have tried a 2 month ivermectin course also. Does anyone know if panacur is safe for pigs, or even worth it, as it would require a 28 day course? Any other suggestions? He is roughly 10 months old, but a rescue, so could really be any age.

Could an admin please correct my thread title. I meant to put panacur. Any suggestions at all relating to my boy would be great. He really is happy and fine, so I'm reluctant to try anything too invasive.

I’ve only ever tried panacur for a rabbit, with E. Cuniculi so I’m not sure with guinea pigs, somebody will be able to help you soon

I’m sure someone on here has been given Panacur for treatment of internal parasites

Panacur is safe and will be prescribed to treat something called e.cuniculi which rabbits and guinea pigs can get and it can cause a head tilt amongst other issues. It is a parasite (Protozoa), though has been reclassified recently as a fungus but panacur treats this still.

I doubt the baytril caused this, infant see how. We certainly sometimes see this with an upper airway infection which may easily have ascended up into the middle ear. If a 28 day course of panacur doesn't work then consider using a different antibiotic potentially.

Also agree using 10% suspension is better for dosing.

Abi

Last edited:
How do I work out the dosage for the 10% suspension? Thanks for all your replies. I think it's something ear infection related but best to rule things out.

Your vet should do it for you, it's worked out by weight. I had six piggies on it, all had a slightly different dose, I had a chart stuck to the kitchen door to make sure I got them right.

Back