• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Patsy's lost weight

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Since adopting Patsy on 12 September she has lost weight every week (12 Sept she was weighed at the Foster Carer's house).

12 Sept 968g
16 Sept 950g
24 Sept 944g
1 Oct 911g
8 Oct 881g

On 14 September I took her for a heath check where she was declared very healthy except for some lumps which subsequently turned out to be ovarian cysts at a scan on 30 September. Having never adopted a piggy before I'm not sure if she is taking a while to settle in and this loss of weight is as a result of the many changes she had in the 8 weeks before I adopted her (leaving the home she knew, being surrendered to the Rescue, live in one Foster Carer's house, be moved to another Foster Carer's house, meet 2 new piggies and after another 3 weeks find herself in yet another strange place) or it's something else.

Almost every time I look at her she has her head stuck in a haypile or a food bowl.

Do I need to take her back to the vets or do I need to give her a bit more time to feel settled? Not having had her that long, I don't know her normal weight. Her health checks each week have been fine with no concerns and she still has a good heft.

I think with it being a continual downward trend and now amounting to quite a bit of loss, I’d prefer to have a vet check done for peace of mind. I hope she is ok

How old is she?
I think I’d get her to see the vet if you can get an appointment as that is a prolonged period of weight loss.

How old is she?
I think I’d get her to see the vet if you can get an appointment as that is a prolonged period of weight loss.
The Rescue said that they had been told she is five years old.

At that age, there are can always be an underlying issue that is being triggered or sped up by the stress of settling into a new home and the related lowering of the immune system. But something is definitely not quite right!

Finding out what is going on can be very tricky, as I know from my own experiences. 'Mystery weight loss' is my least favourite symptom for good reason because there can be so many different issues behind it. :(

All the best for Saturday Patsy.

At that age, there are can always be an underlying issue that is being triggered or sped up by the stress of settling into a new home and the related lowering of the immune system. But something is definitely not quite right!

Finding out what is going on can be very tricky, as I know from my own experiences. 'Mystery weight loss' is my least favourite symptom for good reason because there can be so many different issues behind it. :(
I remember now that when Patsy had her scan, Rachel (vet) mentioned that weight loss may be a sign of the ovarian cysts doing something (can't remember exactly what though :doh: ) and to take her back if she lost any.

I think you’ve done the right thing getting her booked in for a check up. Hope she gets on ok on Saturday.

I think you have made the right decision there, hope it’s just settling in x
I hope it's settling in too. She had had so much to contend with since July! I think if it were me with that many changes in my life I'd lose weight too!

Poor Patsy, best of luck at the vet- if it might be the cysts much better to find out now and schedule an op sooner rather than later... and I'd be getting the sweet potato and porridge oats going on for sure! X

Poor Patsy, best of luck at the vet- if it might be the cysts much better to find out now and schedule an op sooner rather than later... and I'd be getting the sweet potato and porridge oats going on for sure! X
I just happen to have some sweet potato as I am going to make tuna and sweet potato bites tomorrow. I'll be sure to give her some tomorrow morning. I'll separate her and give her them in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion. I may add a bit of grated apple too!

all the best for Saturday .. kisses to Patsy and hugs to you!

Back