• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Payment options when you go to the vet?

Swissgreys

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
OK, so I sound a little less stupid I haven't lived in (or visited a vet in) the UK for about 17 years.

I was wondering what the payment options usually are when you take a piggy (or any other animal)to the vet.
Do you pay immediately after the consult?

What happens if it's for an operation or emergency and they don't know the final cost in advance?
Or if there are follow up appointments needed?

I am just curious as I think billing and payment options in the UK might be very different to how things work in Switzerland.

With my vet, I choose to pay immediately at the end of each consultation for the minor things but you can also request an invoice. Follow up consultations if required are included in the initial charge but if further treatment was needed as a result of the follow up then there would be an extra charge.

For the bigger things, then them sending an invoice is routine - you aren’t expected to pick up your animal, get all the necessary post op info and pay there and then (unless you want to).

The rescue vets have an agreement with the rescue and send a monthly bill that is to be cleared in full (or as close to cleared) each month.
My own vets have a sign up saying that payment is to be made at the end of each consultation. I pay in full before leaving the practice.

I would normally pay after the consultation unless it's something on going, like when my dog broke his toe, I had a consult then had to return for x-rays and meds, we payed then was he wasn't going to be seen for 6 weeks, then on the re x-ray and dental my husband collected but wasn't asked to pay as he was supposed to be going back for another check post dental, the invoice came in the post as it was the end of the month, all paid as I'm not taking him back for the post dental check.
I think if your pet is insured some practices will let you pay the excess and then they claim the balance from the insurance company ( well they did when I worked in practice many years ago).

I have always paid after the consultation.

Apart from in lockdown when I had to pay in advance and even had to pay for a phone consultation.

I did ask for a printout on sunday and was charged £21 for a urine dip - which I queried- good job as one was not done!

The only time I had a large bill was with Gladys ( xray, sedation) was over £200 then she had to be put to sleep .. I just paid afterwards. .. good old credit card for emergencies

I pay after each consultation. Except as @artcasper said in Lockdown where I had to pay in advance and I too had to pay for a telephone/Skype consultation. When Betsy had her emergency spay during Lockdown, I had to collect her, pay (for meds and the op) and receive post op care instructions all at the same time which was a bit overwhelming.

I have to pay after every consultation here.
Apparently they don’t invoice.
I think they’ve had some bad experiences with non payment.
My last Vet’s were happy for me to pay at the end of treatment if it was ongoing or to invoice me if I was away and the piggy sitter needed to take one to the vet.
They also didn’t ask me for payment the day Merab died in surgery but told me to come back in a few days.
They knew me there.

Our vet asks for payment before you leave after each consultation, and if the piggy is having surgery you usually get asked to settle the bill after the op when you come to collect them before you go in to see the post-op care nurse who does the handover.
Our vet is very good at providing free post-op checks though, any follow up appointments for 7 days after surgery are usually free whether routine or emergency, you pay for extra meds but not for the post-op consults. And sometimes our vet doesnt bill us for routine follow up appointments after a course of treatment. And sometimes we get away with taking 2 piggies to the same appointment and only being charged for 1!
That depends a bit on the vet though, the locums charge diligently for every animal seen but the senior vets often waive things just for an extra piggy cuddle or a selfie with Tallulah :)

I always paid after each visit before I left the building - except once, when Comet was having a GA to get his teeth looked at and I couldn't stay and someone else was picking him up. They weren't keen because they weren't 100% certain what they'd be charging me for but I pointed out that they knew he was being picked up by someone else - in the end they agreed to charge me a certain amount and if it was any more than that, to let me know and I'd pay in person the next chance I got.

Edit: a word.

I have always paid straight away after a consultation. Now I pay it via the phone on a card without having to go into the clinic.

With a large bill (like after an operation), I could apply for a payment support scheme. I would still have to pay half the bill straight away but could pay the rest in instalments. But how this is handled is at the discretion of the clinic and can also depend on a dependable a client you have been - a bit more leeway may be given if you have a been a long term client paying all their bills.

I personally pay straight after the treatment.
I'm getting wise now after several visits some very expensive :yikes: ones including.
Small tub meds like £20 for 4 days. Lesson learnt.
My vet now is lovely and we have a great relationship . .helps as they :luv: piggies.
I once refused to pay a bill. . The vet tried to pick up my late (deeply missed Pedro) by scruff neck . Then struggled to take a blood sample (needle fell on floor) and dangled him over edge of the table to trim nails she cut 1st one . . I flipped then put Pedro back into basket and poor lad was stressed. I Refused to pay bill and in reception asked to see the vet qualifications. .
Spent hours saying sorry to Pedders.

Back