• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

PDSA Vets

hellosunshineave

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Err, not sure if this counts as health and illness but I’m looking to register my girls for my local vets (pdsa). Anyways, has anyone had any experience on them? How much would it cost for ringworm for example? Hopefully their reasonable.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know I’m afraid, never used them. It would probably be better to call them up and see. Or check on their website perhaps? Ringworm you’d likely have the consultation and meds.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr:
Vet charges vary from practice to practice so calling them and finding out is best.
We have our vet locator of member recommended guinea pig knowledgeable vets.
You’d want to find out if they have an exotic/cavy savvy vet there as if they don’t then while they can deal with some issues which are the same from species to species such as eyes, they may not be best placed to deal with something more specific to piggies

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are eligible then the PDSA offer free or very low cost veterinary treatment.
They also offer reduced cost medication, so a consult and subsequent medication will be very reasonable.
According to their website it looks like consults for guinea pigs are free, but definitely check that first.

I have a friend who uses their services regularly in the UK, and she said they are extremely sensitive to people's situation and are always happy to work something out when it comes to payment.

Find out more about PDSA's services

hellosunshineave

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If you are eligible then the PDSA offer free or very low-cost veterinary treatment.
They also offer reduced cost medication, so a consult and subsequent medication will be very reasonable.
According to their website, it looks like consults for guinea pigs are free, but definitely check that first.

I have a friend who uses their services regularly in the UK, and she said they are extremely sensitive to people's situation and are always happy to work something out when it comes to payment.

Find out more about PDSA's services
Wait, they consult guinea pigs for free? I don't believe that I'm eligible but will give them a call anyways to find an estimate on how much it costs. Thank you xx

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
The PDSA is a charity and will only see pets from people who are eligible.

If you are receiving housing benefit, council tax support or universal credit than you are eligible for free treatment and mecdication for one pet (but 2 pets in the case of rabbits and guinea pigs).

You may also be eligible for low cost treatment if you are in receipt of certain other benefits.

Best to call and ask, but they really do offer an amazing service to many people who would otherwise be unable to afford veterinary treatment for their pets.