• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Peanut Butter May Have Yet Another Uti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Heard him squeal twice today while toileting. Poops & wee look normal, he's eating & behaving as usual. Have started him on Zithromax, nurofen for children 1-5yrs (tramadol from the last bout all used up) & pro-biotic. Vet appt at 3pm tomorrow was the earliest I could get. It is just after 9pm here & no squeals since 7pm. But if I hear more squealing he's off to the emergency 24hr vet even if only to get pain relief - I can't stand the thought of the little thing being in pain. I have to be in hospital myself tomorrow between 8-10:30am for a check-up so am hoping he will be all right while I'm away.

He didn't like the taste of the Zithromax or the strawberry flavoured nurofen, but the probiotic went down a treat. It's just Inner Healh Plus Dairy Free but he thought it was very tasty, couldn't syringe it into him fast enough!.

Has his urine been tested so you know it's a UTI? Squeaking when peeing/pooping can be a sign of bladder stones, or sludge. An x-ray will confirm stones.

Good luck at the vet.

Good luck at the vets, I agree with the xray recommendation to rule out stones, sludge or Interstitial cystitis. It could even be dietary related.

Let us know how the vet goes, lots of healing vibes to PB x

Has his urine been tested so you know it's a UTI? Squeaking when peeing/pooping can be a sign of bladder stones, or sludge. An x-ray will confirm stones.

Good luck at the vet.
Good luck at the vets, I agree with the xray recommendation to rule out stones, sludge or Interstitial cystitis. It could even be dietary related.

Last time he had X-ray, urine & lymph node fluid analysis (his lymph nodes were enlarged) , so I expect he'll be getting the works again, poor boy. I was only speculating it might be another UTI as it was last time. It is impossible to get a urine sample from PB so he'll have to have it extracted by the vet. One time I nearly succeeded - he weed, I rushed in with the syringe to suck it up & he dropped one poop into the puddle!

Good luck, I hope your piggy is alright! Sending hugs to you. :)

Saw a new vet at the practice, one who has heaps of piggy experience & has 5 pigs of her own. It's a UTI so we continue with the Zithromax & pro-biotics for the next 7 days plus he now has Metacam. The previous vet gave him Tramadol but the new vet says he needs a pain killer with an anti-inflammatory as she felt his bladder wall was thickened & my using the nurofen in a pinch was good. Just hope this does not turn into a 3month battle like last time.

Now for some surprising news. She mentioned something he had around his eyes which is a classic sign of vitamin C deficiency. When I summarised his diet including a vitamin supplement containing 15 mg vit C, she thought he may have a genetic pre-disposition to higher vit C needs. In fact his genetics don't seem very good she thought, given his sebaceous cyst (which she thinks is due to genetics) his jaw that has an overbite & his strange shape. He is longer than Hazelnut but weighs the same at 1240 grams. She said he is underweight on the top half of his body but overweight on the bottom half! This is apparently an indication that he gets most of his nutrition from his initial food & very little from the re-ingested special poops, so not enough proper bacterial gut activity. We are now going to try a complete overhaul of his diet:

1)He is getting a daily Oxbow 50mg vit C tablet. It was easier to syringe him with his liquid vitamin supplement than get the tablet into him!. So far, it's taken 3 tries of me shoving in & him spitting out before I was able to get it far enough behind his incisors so he had to chew. Wish Oxbow made a liquid vit C supplement that could be syringed in!

2)Strictly timothy hay, no other hays. When I mentioned he digs right into meadow or oaten hay but turns his nose up at Timothy hay we tried him on a new Oxbow product here called Harvest Stacks Western Timothy hay which is greener, softer & less dusty than their usual hay. Well, he loves it!

3) Another new product we have here now Oxbow organic pellets. Apparently have stuff in them the original pellets don't.which should help his gut bacteria. This one is a bit of a hurdle because he is not fond of any pellets which is why I've been mixing up my own piggy mix of workhorse mix, chaff, cracked lupins & Oxbow pellets hoping he'd ingest the odd pellet by mistake. Well, he did eat 3 organic pellets on their own so I'm trying a mix of the organic pellets, the harvest stack timothy hay cut up into chaff pieces & a tiny bit of the workhorse mix & will try to gradually eliminate the workhorse mix entirely. . .

4) Same veg regimen he is on now except I have a lawn of buffalo grass & the best grass for them is couch. Looks like I will have to see about growing a small plot of couch!

Now I have a question. He is on 3 drops of metacam a day, the .5mg/ml oral suspension for cats. She showed me how to bead each drop & then just insert the tip of the bottle into the side of his mouth. Unfortunately this is not working out, he is fighting me & most of it ends up dribbling out the side of his mouth. I've tried putting 3 drops into a glass then syringing that up as PB tolerates a syringe quite well.But the syringe isn't sucking it all up from the glass so neither method is giving him the correct dosage. I would like to just cut the top of the metacam bottle off & syringe up the correct dosage. But what is the correct dosage? How many mls is 3 drops of metacam? @Pebble @helen105281 ?

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I though detailing this experience may help others. And I'm booking Hazelnut in to the new vet for a checkup just in case.

I usually give 0.1 ml of metecam, cutting the end of the bottle off unfortunately doesn't make it any easier to use it with a syringe. I ended up using a children's medicine spoon as it's quite deep and squeezing enough onto it to draw it into the syringe, it does waste a bit though x

I usually give 0.1 ml of metecam, cutting the end of the bottle off unfortunately doesn't make it any easier to use it with a syringe. I ended up using a children's medicine spoon as it's quite deep and squeezing enough onto it to draw it into the syringe, it does waste a bit though x
Thanks for that info, really appreciate it! Don';t mind the wastage so long as I'm getting the right dose into him.

We ha
Thanks for that info, really appreciate it! Don';t mind the wastage so long as I'm getting the right dose into him.
Have found a cool way of getting the metacam in a 1ml sryringe. Suck a little up in the big syringe it comes with then you can fit the end of a 1ml syringe into that and draw it out. Cuddles to PB x

We ha

Have found a cool way of getting the metacam in a 1ml sryringe. Suck a little up in the big syringe it comes with then you can fit the end of a 1ml syringe into that and draw it out. Cuddles to PB x
Oh you clever boy! Yeah that works. Glad I didn't throw out the big syringe it came with. Kept it in case I needed it for poochie.

Still waiting for lab results on PB's urine culture. Hopefully we won't get an inconclusive like last time & have to go through a 3 month trial of 3 different anti-biotics! All up with consult, X-ray, ultra sound, urine extraction, lab testing and meds little PB has just cost me about $600 (around 300 pounds). Rather bad timing on his part I must say! What with the expense of housing for the 2 new boys, Hazelnut's birthday this month, still paying off some home renovations my credit card is maxed out & Xmas is just one payday away (I get paid monthly) :yikes:

I would keep it going for as long as he needs it but you could always call the vet to check. As for the Baytril a course can be anything from 5 days to a fortnight or more so again is best to check with the vet.

I would keep it going for as long as he needs it but you could always call the vet to check. As for the Baytril a course can be anything from 5 days to a fortnight or more so again is best to check with the vet.
Thanks Helen, I will be hearing from the vet later in the week when she calls me with the lab results. As she is their only exotics vet & the practice is open 24 hours she's not always on & I got worried about the Metacam so natch wanted instant response! And thank you ever so much for providing it.

I agree with Helen, I would think after 2 weeks if the baytril is not working that the vet should look at trying a different AB though. Hopefully your guinea will be fine in another couple of days :)

Keep the metacam going if he is still in pain, but speak to the vet about using it for longer. If stones/bladder sludge have been excluded, you also have to look with your vet at an antibiotic resistant interstitial cystitis, which you rather have to manage than cure. A thickened bladder is often connected with cystitis rather than a UTI.

I have been using metacam for my own cystitis piggies; it will shorten the lifespan somewhat if you use it long term - however, my Nerys is 6 years old now after several years of interstitial cystitis and Hywel is still going strong at 5 years old, and both have had plenty of metacam!

Can you get hold of vegetarian glucosamine or a generic of glucosamine-based cystaid (for cats); they help to protect the bladder walls. it is something else you might like to discuss with your vet, especially if the bladder problems are continuing.

I am sorry that you are still struggling! HUGS! :(

Thanks @Wiebke . Stones were ruled out by X-ray & ultrasound. The vet did a prelim urine analysis before sending the culture off to the lab. She said no blood, but there was a bit of sludge. Last time they determined he had a UTI because the lab said there was bacteria but they couldn't zero in on what kind. If we get the same inconclusive results we will be discussing interstitial cystitis as that had already crossed my mind & I raised the issue. And yes his bladder wall is thickened. Good to know PB could still live a long life even with prolonged Metacam use. Will definitely be looking into sourcing cystaid you suggested. Thanks heaps. Poor PB, toofie problems, sebaceous cysts & recurring bladder problems. :( I am just happy he came to me rather than somewhere else as I dread to think that maybe others mightn't have put in the effort with him or would have returned him to rescue.
pixy.png

@Wiebke can get vegetarian glucosamine capsules (for humans - nothing for pets here). The capsules contain 750mg of the stuff. I assume I take the powder out of the capsules, mix with water & syringe. Can you supply dosages please? Ta.

@Wiebke can get vegetarian glucosamine capsules (for humans - nothing for pets here). The capsules contain 750mg of the stuff. I assume I take the powder out of the capsules, mix with water & syringe. Can you supply dosages please? Ta.

It makes about 8 high doses, so mix with an amount of water that is divisable by 8. I would give at least a week on the higher dose, then see how he is and if he is better try him on half the dose. If necessary go back to the higher dose.
Can you halve or quarter the capsules? Any mix will keep in the fridge only for a day or two.

It makes about 8 high doses, so mix with an amount of water that is divisable by 8. I would give at least a week on the higher dose, then see how he is and if he is better try him on half the dose. If necessary go back to the higher dose.
Can you halve or quarter the capsules? Any mix will keep in the fridge only for a day or two.
Yes, I will split the capsule powder & just make up more frequently since the mix doesn't last long. Thank you soooo much for this. I want to get some tomorrow & start him straight away. Can't hurt.

Apologies for being late to this thread: Metacam dosage is often asked about because it is very confusing.

I'm going to try and provide an overview as to why that is...in the hope this may be made a sticky for future forum users.

Metacam dosage:
  • Metacam is only licensed for cats and dogs...not rodents, rabbits or piggies.
  • Most small animal drugs are ONLY licensed for cats and dogs because it is too expensive for the drug companies to include other animal groups in their trials. As far as piggies are concerned, thire only licensed drugs are ivermectin and baytril
  • That doesn't prevent the British Small Animal Formulary (UK vets prescribing bible) from recommending that cat and dog drugs can be prescribed for other animal groups "off license" at appropriate dosages.
  • Most vets are now happy, (as far as piggies are concerned) to prescribe off-license drugs.. Some are still more cautious than others...which is why a piggy savvy vet is a must
  • Both cats and dogs are prescribed to receive a 0.1-0.2mg/kg dose of metacam
  • The Dose for rats is 1mg/kg...but dose for rabbits is only 0.1-0.2mg/kg.....piggies aren't mentioned.
  • Rats and other rodents (including piggies) are recognised as having a higher metabolic rate than rabbits cats and dogs (and therefore drug clearance rate)
  • Most vets will adopt a cautionary approach however and prescribe at 0.1mg/kg for piggies (rabbit/cat/dog lower dose) ...however others will on occasion adopt the 1.0mg/kg for rats
  • There are two different strengths of metacam supplied - cat (0./5mg/ml) and Dog (1.5mg/ml)
  • They are supplied with syringes that are graduated according to the animals weight in kg and not ml.
  • Most guinea pigs are around the 1kg mark whereas most cats and dogs are upwards of 7kg.
  • Owners therefore need to know how many mls of the metacam strength they have been supplied should be given to their pigges rather than relying on the syringe supplied
  • The graduated syringes supplied with the metacam are therefore not helpful for piggies and should be disposed of in favour of 1.0ml syringes. You can cut the spout top off the metacam bottle or alternatively drip the contents into a spoon or other receptacle to draw up the appropriate amount into your 1.0ml syringe

Bottom line- there are a myriad of outcomes of what is "best dose" for piggies under what circumstances...and it depends upon your vet.......Hence why there is always a lot of confusion on dosage range for piggies

Peanut Butter (lovely name!)

I am basing the following on the lower rabbit/cat/dog dosage of 0.1mg/kg body weight which appears to be the more common preferred prescribing amount here in the UK and agreeable with your vet

Given the illustrious PB weighs in at a healthy 1.24kg PB's total daily dose of the drug should be (his weight kg) x 0.1mg = 0.124mg.
Cat metacam contains 0.5mg of active drug diluted in 1.0ml of fluid.......so PB's dose should be 0.124/0.5 x 1.0ml - 0.25ml

He should therefore be receiving 0.25ml per day cat metacam for a minimal dose....(or 0.125ml twice daily which some vets prefer given pgigies high metabolic rate)

In exceptional circumstances (ie palliative care/pain relief for inoperable kidney stones and tumours) I have in the past given piggies up to the equivalent of 1.0ml cat metacam per day on the instruction of my vet.

Having said that, for most routine pain situations involving urinary, gut, dental or ear issues....guinea pig medicine has moved beyond metacam.
My vet routinely prescribes a combination of tramadol for pain relief with metacam for anti-inflammatory purposes..
To date, my piggies have had no problems with gut motility as a direct result of prescribing tramadol at 1mg/kg in conjunction with metacam at the same dosage...and in more acute or palliative situations we have successfully given 3xthe above doses of both drugs together with no ill-effects.

.Perhaps it is worth discussion with your vet on a dual med regime for best effect and get them to confirm the dosages for you?
x

Apologies for being late to this thread: Metacam dosage is often asked about because it is very confusing.

I'm going to try and provide an overview as to why that is...in the hope this may be made a sticky for future forum users.

Metacam dosage:
  • Metacam is only licensed for cats and dogs...not rodents, rabbits or piggies.
  • Most small animal drugs are ONLY licensed for cats and dogs because it is too expensive for the drug companies to include other animal groups in their trials. As far as piggies are concerned, thire only licensed drugs are ivermectin and baytril
  • That doesn't prevent the British Small Animal Formulary (UK vets prescribing bible) from recommending that cat and dog drugs can be prescribed for other animal groups "off license" at appropriate dosages.
  • Most vets are now happy, (as far as piggies are concerned) to prescribe off-license drugs.. Some are still more cautious than others...which is why a piggy savvy vet is a must
  • Both cats and dogs are prescribed to receive a 0.1-0.2mg/kg dose of metacam
  • The Dose for rats is 1mg/kg...but dose for rabbits is only 0.1-0.2mg/kg.....piggies aren't mentioned.
  • Rats and other rodents (including piggies) are recognised as having a higher metabolic rate than rabbits cats and dogs (and therefore drug clearance rate)
  • Most vets will adopt a cautionary approach however and prescribe at 0.1mg/kg for piggies (rabbit/cat/dog lower dose) ...however others will on occasion adopt the 1.0mg/kg for rats
  • There are two different strengths of metacam supplied - cat (0./5mg/ml) and Dog (1.5mg/ml)
  • They are supplied with syringes that are graduated according to the animals weight in kg and not ml.
  • Most guinea pigs are around the 1kg mark whereas most cats and dogs are upwards of 7kg.
  • Owners therefore need to know how many mls of the metacam strength they have been supplied should be given to their pigges rather than relying on the syringe supplied
  • The graduated syringes supplied with the metacam are therefore not helpful for piggies and should be disposed of in favour of 1.0ml syringes. You can cut the spout top off the metacam bottle or alternatively drip the contents into a spoon or other receptacle to draw up the appropriate amount into your 1.0ml syringe
Bottom line- there are a myriad of outcomes of what is "best dose" for piggies under what circumstances...and it depends upon your vet.......Hence why there is always a lot of confusion on dosage range for piggies[you]

Peanut Butter (lovely name!)[/you]

I am basing the following on the lower rabbit/cat/dog dosage of 0.1mg/kg body weight which appears to be the more common preferred prescribing amount here in the UK and agreeable with your vet

Given the illustrious PB weighs in at a healthy 1.24kg PB's total daily dose of the drug should be (his weight kg) x 0.1mg = 0.124mg.
Cat metacam contains 0.5mg of active drug diluted in 1.0ml of fluid.......so PB's dose should be 0.124/0.5 x 1.0ml - 0.25ml

He should therefore be receiving 0.25ml per day cat metacam for a minimal dose....(or 0.125ml twice daily which some vets prefer given pgigies high metabolic rate)

In exceptional circumstances (ie palliative care/pain relief for inoperable kidney stones and tumours) I have in the past given piggies up to the equivalent of 1.0ml cat metacam per day on the instruction of my vet.

Having said that, for most routine pain situations involving urinary, gut, dental or ear issues....guinea pig medicine has moved beyond metacam.
My vet routinely prescribes a combination of tramadol for pain relief with metacam for anti-inflammatory purposes..
To date, my piggies have had no problems with gut motility as a direct result of prescribing tramadol at 1mg/kg in conjunction with metacam at the same dosage...and in more acute or palliative situations we have successfully given 3xthe above doses of both drugs together with no ill-effects.

.Perhaps it is worth discussion with your vet on a dual med regime for best effect and get them to confirm the dosages for you?
x
Thank you so much for this! Explains why the metacam was not adequately controlling his pain. I was told to give him .05ml once a day. I confess that sometimes I gave him another dose in desperation when the morning dose didn't last & by evening he was in pain. I couldn't bear the thought of him in pain all night. This was prescribed by the first vet he saw. He has since been to a specialist & I was waiting for lab results before I discussed further meds with her. So, never thought to question her about the first vet's dosage recommendation. Anyway, results came in and re-conferred with the vet. He is going on tramadol as he doesn't need an anti-inflammatory.. Have a new post about his mystery illness. But thank you for this info, it is brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back