• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Peegy has some little issues

PilgaDad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just had one of my peegs eggs get a piece of hay stuck up in his upper eye lid and I carefully pulled it out there was some what seemed to be mucus or some white globule that came out as well his eye doesn’t seem swollen or shutting its wide open and he is eating fine haven’t seen much poop but he does have troubles with poop sometimes he is a special needs peeg and needs a lot of support for his poop and he is a little slow but he seems fine he is eating and drinking so I may be over thinking it
Has anyone delt with somthing like this the hay or poops?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Any hay in the eye needs to be seen by a vet. Wheh hay gets caught in the eye it often scratches the cornea and causes damage. Please have your piggy seen by a vet so they can thoroughly check the eye. It’s done using a fluorescent dye. The vet will see if there is any injury and can prescribe antibiotic drops if necessary.

Regarding the poop, often reduced poops is because they haven’t been eating enough and that requires a vet check
and syringe feeding. however, if it is common for him to have poop issues, then it’s not possible for us to say whether its Because of his normal issues or an illness. Please ensure you switch from weekly weighing to daily weighing while you are concerned about him, and please also have him checked out by a vet For this issue also.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Eye injuries deteriorate very quickly so they are seen by UK vets as quickly as they can make space; what you are dealing with is an ulcerated (i.e. infected) eye injury. Since eye treatment and medication is the same in all common pet species you do not need to see an exotics vet; any decent vet will; the usual antibiotic eye drops/gels are safe for rodents, too. Crucial is that you see a vet promptly so treatment can happen as soon as possible in order to boost your chances of smooth and quick recovery; the longer you wait, the deeper the injury can penetrate into the eye and become much more difficult and expensive to treat.

When you suspect loss of appetite, please switch from the normal once weekly life-long weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time. Kitchen scales are perfectly OK. Step in with syringe feeding support promptly. Keep in mind that around 80% of the daily food intake is hay, hay and more hay - and that you cannot control that by eye. Also be aware that the poo output is generally lagging 1 day behind so unlike the scales it cannot give you an up to date picture. Mushed up pellets will do as a bridging solution until you can get hold of recovery formula but you need to cut off the tip of any syringe just below where it widens (to hold the plunger in but to allow the mush rougher fibre in the pellets to pass through). Again, the cause of any loss of appetite should be investigated by a vet.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre