• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pellets?

wheekingdead

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Right now I am keeping a bowl of pellets in my piggie's hutch 24/7 and I have been reading that I should feed them pellets as their morning time meal and then veggies as their dinner. (and of course keeping their hay filled all the time) should I not be keeping pellets in their hutch at all times?

The portion is a tablespoon of pellets per pig. So I’d take cut back a lot. It’s up to you when you feed them what. I give pellets in the morning along with veg. Then veg again 3-3:30 depending on the day.

As above. They should only have one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day, not constant access to them. Hay needs to be the biggest part of their diet and pellets are like junk food to them so too many pellets can stop them eating enough hay
I give my pigs half of their veggie allowance in the morning and top up their hay. Twice during the day their hay gets topped up again. then in the evening, around 4pm, I give them more hay, the other half of veggies and their portion of pellets. Then when I go back out to them (mine live in my shed) around 8 or 9pm to give them their heat pads, I then remove their pellet bowls from the hutch and they don’t get put back in until they get their evening meal the next day.

I tend to chuck a big handful of hay in and sprinkle a tablespoon of pellets on top so they have to rustle around to find them, always good to give them something to forage around in and keep them occupied!
Then when they've demolished that they get their veg, mornings and evenings :) they obv get hay 24/7 as well :)

I like the idea of sprinkling the pellets in the hay @alpacasqueak

@Piggies&buns do you remove the bowls even if the pellets aren’t finished? I’ve now started removing the bowls in the evenings. If I don’t, SOMEONE (pigdad) gives them more 🤦🏾‍♀🙄

Their pellets are always finished by the time I go back out a few hours later. If they weren’t all gone, then it would most likely be because I’d given them too many so yes I would still remove the bowl

I made the mistake of giving unlimited pellets to my piggies too! As said above, you should only give each piggy one tablespoon of pellets per day. Penny likes to eat them all at once, so now I give both Penny and Cocoa portions of the pellets throughout the day. This way Penny won't get a tummy ache!

The portion is a tablespoon of pellets per pig. So I’d take cut back a lot. It’s up to you when you feed them what. I give pellets in the morning along with veg. Then veg again 3-3:30 depending on the day.
Mine eats baby food. Creamed mash and carrots out a jar lol.

Back