• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Penis not opening/retracting properly

D

DM270921

Hi, I was trying to check Frodo's penis today (I haven't before so I'm a bit inexperienced) and it couldn't open properly. It looked like he had something stuck in it (white?) causing it to stay shut. I could only open it up about half or less of the way. Then it didn't retract properly so I had to push it back in myself. I'm worried that it could be causing him pain. What should I do? Thanks x

I just checked sam and he is worse, he can't open it at all (unless I'm doing it wrong)

The penis can get dirty with build up of smegma. The guide below should help you, but if you are unsure or can’t do it, then it would be best to take them to the vet and have them help to clean it this first time and show you what to do
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Hi, unless there is a medical reason for you to do so, best to leave well alone with his penis! It would be very easy to hurt him if you arent sure what you are doing! Sometimes boys do get dried semen stuck there, but also be aware that they usualky have "penis spines" that are like little white claws on their penis that can sometimes look like foreign objects but are in fact attached and normal and should be left well alone! Possibly gently bathing with a bit of plain water may help, but if you arent sure what you are seeing please ask a vet or vet nurse to check him over for you so you dont cause an accidental injury! Some boys will pop their penis out quite easily but some wont, unless he seems in any discomfort down there, there is no need to be trying to pop it out for a look :)

Thank you for all the replies :) I wouldn't normally do the check, but I thought I read a guide saying you should check often for any hay or bedding that was caught in.
I think I will go to the vet for reassurance that nothing is the matter/there is something the matter that needs to be looked at professionally...
Does anyone know of a pig savvy vet near High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire?
Thanks again x

Back