• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

People who use C&C/indoor cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPG

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The piggies are FINALLY coming indoors in the summer. Sounds silly i know, but dad allowed the buns in because theyre toilet trained, but i think Dolly prefers it outdoors, so theyre going back out in summer and ive persuaded him to let me have the piggies in.

I'm just wondering what you all use for litter?
Fleece will clog up the washing machine, and weve just replaced the old one, so I'm not allowed to put hairy bedding in there.
Shavings, carefresh and megazorb are all really light and i can see it going everywhere.
Wood litter, although nice and heavy is quite expensive compared to other types of bedding.

In the rabbits base i have some interlocking foam mats like what you get in a childs playroom. Just wondering if i should reuse these and cut them down to size? They dont absorb urine though, and i know the piggies will likely just sit in it

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks

Its a long way off yet, but i just like to know what I'm doing well in advance or i end up spending a fortune!

fleece really is best in door's and it don't clog up my machine, the only think that might is the hay on it but if you make a seperate kitchen with high sides and put sawdust or other bedding in it, it keeps the hay/food in there

I wash my vet bed in a zipped pillow case so no loose hair/hay gets onto the drum (bit funny about it lol)

fleece really is best in door's and it don't clog up my machine, the only think that might is the hay on it but if you make a seperate kitchen with high sides and put sawdust or other bedding in it, it keeps the hay/food in there

I am thinking of buying an extra level to put their hay in. Mainly because a 2x6 wont fit in the space i have so i was going to get a 2x4 and a 2x2 "loft".

Will the hay be ok up there? I know piggies prefer to live on the ground, so i wasnt sure. :{

I wash my vet bed in a zipped pillow case so no loose hair/hay gets onto the drum (bit funny about it lol)

:))

I had thought about that, but last time i suggested it, my parents still kicked off. How on earth do you fit the fleece from a C&C into a pillowcase!? :red I'm planning on getting a "starter" cage from piggie paradise and buying an added level.

Anyone have any suggestions for a conventional bedding? Just so i know everything thats available :)

these are my cage designs and i have had no problems with them going up and down and i think mine prefer the middle level
FILE0129.jpg

piggies012.jpg

This one the door concertinas into a run i am changing back to this design when my foster pigs go
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUawvD9tdI[/ame]

these are my cage designs and i have had no problems with them going up and down and i think mine prefer the middle level
FILE0129.jpg

piggies012.jpg

This one the door concertinas into a run i am changing back to this design when my foster pigs go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUawvD9tdI

Thanks :) I plan on having my set up like the first picture, but without the bottom part.

So it would be 4x2 + the 2x2 hay loft. Will this be big enough for 3 female piggies?

Yes should be plenty for three piggies, i have 5 in mine but could have 10 in there comfy, I you would need two packs of grids if you bought them from ebay and your kitchen wouldnt need to me 2x2 really it s quite big i thought the starter cages are expensive?

:))

I had thought about that, but last time i suggested it, my parents still kicked off. How on earth do you fit the fleece from a C&C into a pillowcase!? :red I'm planning on getting a "starter" cage from piggie paradise and buying an added level.

Anyone have any suggestions for a conventional bedding? Just so i know everything thats available :)

I don't use a c&c so not as big! But I guess you oculd easliy make a wash bag for it tbh?/

Yes should be plenty for three piggies, i have 5 in mine but could have 10 in there comfy, I you would need two packs of grids if you bought them from ebay and your kitchen wouldnt need to me 2x2 really it s quite big i thought the starter cages are expensive?

Now thats a good question!

I originally went on that site because its the only place i know of that supply all of the things together. Do you think it would be cheaper to get the chloroplast from there and get everything elsewhere? The fleecr they sell to line the cage has a matress cover sewn it. I'm not very good with textiles! :))

my pigs are on fleece, I do 1 or 2 washes a week, with all fleeces in an old single duvet cover, buttenoed and knotted. I hang it inside out to dry so the hay falls out and never have a problem with the drum.

Now thats a good question!

I originally went on that site because its the only place i know of that supply all of the things together. Do you think it would be cheaper to get the chloroplast from there and get everything elsewhere? The fleecr they sell to line the cage has a matress cover sewn it. I'm not very good with textiles! :))

Well the cage liner's from there are probably good but they are very easy to make
FILE0148.jpg

the, the cube's are from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seville-Cube-...70272425090?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item5635f4d482 and coroplast is £12 a sheet from b and q it's instore only its square but big enough to cut side off and put it on the end to make it for a 2x4 cage and it's see through and not very nice looking

Or you can get it delivered from http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co.uk/polypropylene-correx-c-68_696.html they do bigger sheets than on their website but you have to phone them and i dont know how much it is and in colours (not that you see it with cage liners though lol

Well the cage liner's from there are probably good but they are very easy to make
FILE0148.jpg

the, the cube's are from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seville-Cube-...70272425090?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item5635f4d482 and coroplast is £12 a sheet from b and q it's instore only its square but big enough to cut side off and put it on the end to make it for a 2x4 cage and it's see through and not very nice looking

Or you can get it delivered from http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co.uk/polypropylene-correx-c-68_696.html they do bigger sheets than on their website but you have to phone them and i dont know how much it is and in colours (not that you see it with cage liners though lol

I would be REALLY useless at making one though, id spend more money putting right my mistakes. Plus our sewing machine is broken. Do you think a seamstress would be able to run one up for me? :)) lol.

How many grids would i need? Ive decided id prefer a 2x5 and a 1x2 loft plus a base and stand.

Your going to need alot! 22 without a base and stand 32 with base not sure on stand. I only started sewing since i got piggie's 6 month's ago and i make everything now here's a pattern for one colour http://annaboydcreations.com/documents/PiggyBedspreadTutorial.pdf
I have 2x4 cage so i can get two bedspread's out of this topper
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1274574/Trail/searchtext>TOPPER.htm you may be able to get them from tesco for £6.50 but they have to be 100% cotton topped.Todo seperate coloured side's which i prefer you need to cut mattress topper to the size you need i fit it in the correx tray cotton part facing up , take it out and place face down on fleece pin and sew round. To do the sides you need 4 strips the length of the side's of the tray and as wide as the side's time's two plus two inches (so if the side's are 5inch high you would need 12inch wide strips to go up one side down the other and tuck under) sew the short ends to the long so you have something like a cot bumper pin the seam's to the corner's of the fleece and topper then pin the rest and sew round.

It sound's harder than it is i promise!

Your going to need alot! 22 without a base and stand 32 with base not sure on stand. I only started sewing since i got piggie's 6 month's ago and i make everything now here's a pattern for one colour http://annaboydcreations.com/documents/PiggyBedspreadTutorial.pdf
I have 2x4 cage so i can get two bedspread's out of this topper
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1274574/Trail/searchtext>TOPPER.htm you may be able to get them from tesco for £6.50 but they have to be 100% cotton topped.Todo seperate coloured side's which i prefer you need to cut mattress topper to the size you need i fit it in the correx tray cotton part facing up , take it out and place face down on fleece pin and sew round. To do the sides you need 4 strips the length of the side's of the tray and as wide as the side's time's two plus two inches (so if the side's are 5inch high you would need 12inch wide strips to go up one side down the other and tuck under) sew the short ends to the long so you have something like a cot bumper pin the seam's to the corner's of the fleece and topper then pin the rest and sew round.

It sound's harder than it is i promise!

That is really complicated to me! :red I wouldnt be brave enough to attempt it without someone who has already done it. rolleyes

Try the anna boyd one first it is easy and you would get an idea of how to do the other one, getyour seamstress friend to help mine are ok the bottom's are a bit messy lol but no one can see that:))

Try the anna boyd one first it is easy and you would get an idea of how to do the other one, getyour seamstress friend to help mine are ok the bottom's are a bit messy lol but no one can see that:))

lol. I dont have a seamstress friend, i was planning on waltzing in with my plan and asking someone if they can make it :))

...i have no shame :)

LOL, well you could cut the mattress topper to the right size then fold the fleece over it, which would be good as you could use different fleece when you wanted instead of making a new liner every time. i think the cage liner's from piggy paradise would be worth the money, it costs me about £20-£25 for two liner's and about 4/5 hour's work so the price is not bad i just can do it so i do but if i had the money tobuy them i bet hers are much better quality. Would be interesting to see if anyone on here has bought any and has pic's of them to see how good they are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back