• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Persistent Fungal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a group of 3 piggies who live outdoors in a wooden hutch. They were originally bedded on shavings but have since changed to Aubiose hemp. Around summer 2013, one piggie I noticed had what looked like mites - this was treated with ivermectin successfully. However, it came back and after more thorough research and contact with the vet, we thought a fungal infection (this is only a small patch on the inside of each back leg, flakey/dry skin and some scabs) and treatment of all piggies began with imaverol baths and daktarin cream as well as a hutch clean. The problem was on and off but now never amounted to more than dry or flaky skin with use of hypo-care. However, recently, it has become more apparent in the piggies (I believe the colder weather lowers their immune system) and I have begun to treat with imaverol and daktarin. The hutch has been scrubbed and is now drying to be sanded down and repainted. I very much hope that this will solve the hutch. The piggies are currently indoors in a plastic cage and will be bathed 3 times at 3 day intervals. However, I only moved the piggies out of the hutch today and have already bathed 3 times (every 3 days) prior to now. The treatment is having an effect for sure but usually has gone by the 3rd treatment. Will bathing in imaverol cause problems? One piggie is almost all white and a lot of her skin is pink, it seems to look a bit flaky, not all over - only in patches, but these patches are quite pink and may be irritated. I wondered if anyone has experience of persistent fungal infections, or possible other skin conditions which are similar? Piggies do not seem particularly irritated by it and no scabs/bleeding, eating/drinking/personalities as normal. I really am not sure what to do if this does not work, a trip to the vets I guess. Although everything I have read suggests that the vets will recommend what I am already doing and the visit would be for reassurance more than anything. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having skin issues they can be very frustrating. I will tag in Helen for you, she knows lots regarding skin problems @helen105281

Could you update you profile to include your geographical location as we have members all over the world it allows us to tailor any advice to your locality.

Lee

Hi welcome to the forum.

First of all, can I just check that you are dipping in the Imaverol and not rinsing off? Imaverol is gentle so you are fine to continue using it. I tend to follow a different treatment plan with it which was advised to me by a friend who has done vast amounts of research on fungal issues and that is to dip once a week for at least 4 weeks, basically is gives it a chance to work between dips instead of effectively rinsing it off again after 3 days. You can also use it topically in between dips too.

What did you clean the hutch with? was it F10? I tend to follow the advice of removing anything wooden when I have a fungal problem, for me it was only their logs but it may mean that you should replace the hutch if the problem keeps recurring as wood habours spores. Are they inside for the winter now in the plastic cages? are you changing the bedding in the cage at the same time you use the Imaverol?

The pink skin is typical of a fungal condition, and is one of the first things I look for. You may also find that the hair is greasy and if you rub it the wrong way it does not fall back down into place easily.

I would take them to the vets as it is possible they may need an oral anti-fungal medication like Itrafungol to clear it once and for all. My vet uses the cat regime which was advised as the most effective by the manufacturer and it is one week on one week off for a total of 3 rounds. It carries on working in the weeks off and so is effectively a 6 week treatment. Other vets give it for 2 weeks straight.

Hope that helps.

I have not long started treating a fungal infection. My vet said the same as @helen105281 . I've been given itrafungol, 1 week on 1 week off. So 3 weeks with meds 3 without. Vet told me that fungal spores are very hard to get rid of in wood. So all of the wooden hideys and toys are in the bin. Also i through out their card bord boxes. It did cost me £35 just for the bottle of meds. I have been using it for 6 days and you can hardly see the ringworm now.

I have not long started treating a fungal infection. My vet said the same as @helen105281 . I've been given itrafungol, 1 week on 1 week off. So 3 weeks with meds 3 without. Vet told me that fungal spores are very hard to get rid of in wood. So all of the wooden hideys and toys are in the bin. Also i through out their card bord boxes. It did cost me £35 just for the bottle of meds. I have been using it for 6 days and you can hardly see the ringworm now.
Sorry forgot to say vet said the spors can live up to 18 month. That's why it a good idea to just keep the plastic things it's easier to clean

Hi welcome to the forum.

First of all, can I just check that you are dipping in the Imaverol and not rinsing off? Imaverol is gentle so you are fine to continue using it. I tend to follow a different treatment plan with it which was advised to me by a friend who has done vast amounts of research on fungal issues and that is to dip once a week for at least 4 weeks, basically is gives it a chance to work between dips instead of effectively rinsing it off again after 3 days. You can also use it topically in between dips too.

What did you clean the hutch with? was it F10? I tend to follow the advice of removing anything wooden when I have a fungal problem, for me it was only their logs but it may mean that you should replace the hutch if the problem keeps recurring as wood habours spores. Are they inside for the winter now in the plastic cages? are you changing the bedding in the cage at the same time you use the Imaverol?

The pink skin is typical of a fungal condition, and is one of the first things I look for. You may also find that the hair is greasy and if you rub it the wrong way it does not fall back down into place easily.

I would take them to the vets as it is possible they may need an oral anti-fungal medication like Itrafungol to clear it once and for all. My vet uses the cat regime which was advised as the most effective by the manufacturer and it is one week on one week off for a total of 3 rounds. It carries on working in the weeks off and so is effectively a 6 week treatment. Other vets give it for 2 weeks straight.

Hope that helps.

Hi, that is extremely helpful thank you. I am dipping in imaverol but I am going to try once a week plus topically.

I did use disinfectant but I don't have any vet grade at the moment, hoping to get more today then I will use that too. I had hoped that sanding the hutch would remove the spores closest to the surface and repainting would kill the rest. The indoor plastic cage is not very suitable for long term living, its quite small and they seem to prefer being outside. But they are indoors for the duration of this treatment. Yes changing the bedding and disinfecting everything before they go back in after an imaverol bath. My intention is that I will get rid of the skin problem indoors while in a plastic cage and at the same time renovate the wooden hutch through whatever it takes then move them back in. Unfortunately it is very difficult to replace the hutch as they are built by my dad and bought ones are just not as good. He has only just built me one for my other piggies!

Okay thanks, I will just take them to the vets as soon as I can and fingers crossed all of this works, thank you so much.

Happy to help. The ratio for topical application is 5ml to 50ml of water.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can with the hutch, if you can get F10 to clean it with that would be good as it is the most effective against fungal spores.

If the vet does prescribe Itrafungol ask for a prescription as you can get it much cheaper online. I got mine from Animed.

One last thing, if the vet suggests a culture it is unlikely to show anything unless it is Ringworm you are dealing with (which I don't think this is) as other types of fungal do not tend to show up.

Hi! I agree with @helen105281 that the medication you are on is bound to clear the fungal and is worth the cost! You usually see a result already by the end of a week of itrafungol but you need to do the whole course.

F10 is the only disinfectant in the UK that gets reliably rid of fungal spores, but you really need to soak and dry any wooden furniture to make sure that the disinfectant gets into every little crack. And it is sadly the not the best time of the year for this... F10 is widely sold online. :(

Hi! I agree with @helen105281 that the medication you are on is bound to clear the fungal and is worth the cost! You usually see a result already by the end of a week of itrafungol but you need to do the whole course.

F10 is the only disinfectant in the UK that gets reliably rid of fungal spores, but you really need to soak and dry any wooden furniture to make sure that the disinfectant gets into every little crack. And it is sadly the not the best time of the year for this... F10 is widely sold online. :(

Hi Wiebke, I will take them to the vet as soon as possible to get some intrafungol and continue with imaverol.

I ordered some F10 this morning, and have decided to keep them inside in a plastic cage possibly until the spring now. Which gives me plenty of time to upgrade their outdoor hutch and disinfect. I also ordered some Gorgeous Guineas products too. Thank you for the advice. :)

Hi Wiebke, I will take them to the vet as soon as possible to get some intrafungol and continue with imaverol.

I ordered some F10 this morning, and have decided to keep them inside in a plastic cage possibly until the spring now. Which gives me plenty of time to upgrade their outdoor hutch and disinfect. I also ordered some Gorgeous Guineas products too. Thank you for the advice. :)

I have used itranfungal on a number of occasions, and in all cases it has sorted the problem out very quickly with no reoccurrence x

I have used itranfungal on a number of occasions, and in all cases it has sorted the problem out very quickly with no reoccurrence x

Same here... even with piggies with a compromised immune system (due to an irregular heartbeat) that were not able to fight off ringworm with imaverol and other topical treaments. ;)

Piggies are much better and do not show any signs of fungal skin. I have used Gorgeous Guineas products laterally and their skin was much less irritated. Their outdoors wooden hutch has been inside for over a month, sanded, repainted and the floor and inner partition replaced. The hutch will stay in the garage for the remainder of the winter, if the guineas have no signs of the fungal infections on their skin, is it safe (in terms of spores reinfecting the hutch) to put them back into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back