• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Persuading Pet Shop To Set Up Adoption Centre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. i'm after some info and advice.
I have been chatting to my local pet store owner and basically trying to keep in with supporting local businesses I suggested to him he could look into offering an adoption service for unwanted piggies. Similar to what pets at home do?
Basically the train of thought was if people in the area had somewhere they knew would offer such a service they would maybe think twice about advertising unwanted guinea pigs on the likes of gumtree and facebook selling pages. Anyway, he seemed really interested in the idea, and asked if I knew any of the legalities involved, which I don't unfortunately as I'm just a typical customer. Does anyone here have any of this information they could share that I could put forward to him?

There has been a new PAH opened just around the corner in a retail park which is obviously had a big effect on the smaller pet shops footfall and I would love to be able to support the smaller local family run stores if I could. I know there is so much red tape but it would be great if anyone could offer me information on if it is a good idea or what I could put forward to them to encourage them to take up that chance .

That's a great idea. Hope someone knows the answer for you.

That sounds great ! try typing a couple of things online like "what licences do you have to have to set up a rescue ?" x

Thank you :) I really would like to be able to support the family run businesses, and the owner was genuinely interested in the idea so I hope to be able to compile some information for him to encourage him to go ahead with it :)

If you find out would you let us know, I had a similar conversation with a new pet shop that I have just persuaded to stock megazorb for me. He was interested in selling live animals but I think I put him off, thank goodness. Would the sspca be able to help?

Good thinking, he already sells fish, hamsters, birds, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits so I'd assume he has all relevant licenses where that is involved. I might try asking SSPCA to see what they can offer info wise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back