• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Peruvian pigs hair cut

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi does anyone know of any places that does a lot grooming service for Guinea Pigs, i have two peruvians and their hairs growing in quite long now and in need of a trim i tried doing it myself and they seemed to squeak like it hurt so i stopped instantly? I don’t wanna make a mess and rather it was done by a professional. Thanks!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have pet clippers as they are quieter than normal clippers and give Betsy a grade 4 for her summer hairdo. I have Tom (16 year old son) standing by for when Betsy does a runner (gets fed up). I always bribe her with food in an attempt to get her to stay still. She usually ends up with one side long and one side short overnight :yikes:and then I do the other side the next day:).

lauraboara

Forum Donator 2016/17
May be worth asking the vet nurses at your local vet - ours will help with that kind of thing and nails etc. Small fee.
But also they do get used to it - I have 2 Peruvians and they are totally chilled about hair cuts now - little gem lettuce leaves usually help!