• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pet Expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there! :) I'm sorry if this question is too personal for some people, but I'm just wondering what you guys pay a week for your pigglies?

Food/bedding and the like!

I go to a local pet shop to get the hay and food, because it's generally cheaper...I spend about £10-£15 a week which I think is pretty okay! That includes any veggies that I get from Tesco. :)

Everywhere else I go it costs a bomb just to get a bale of hay. @)

Hay per bale used for bedding £4.50 last about 3 weeks
Burgess Hay for eating £4.30 ish for a bag lasts about a week
Veggies about £17.50 per week for 7 guineas and 2 buns
Nuggets for boys £8.50 last about a month
Wagg for girls £11.00 for large bag last about 2 months

Treats and extras about £5.00 per month.

Toys and beds coseys etc i wouldnt like to guess how much that costs.

Vet bills vary this week alone Chocolate has cost £75.00.

Looks a lot but they are worth itx)

hi not sure what i spend a week but i spend £30 on hay which lasts about 10 weeks, £10-13 on food which last about 2 months. and then veggies varies each week but on average i spend between £7-£10 a week. i have 8 piggies though :)

bedding i use newspapers so that doesnt cost me anything.

hope that helps

Hay per bale used for bedding £4.50 last about 3 weeks
Burgess Hay for eating £4.30 ish for a bag lasts about a week
Veggies about £17.50 per week for 7 guineas and 2 buns
Nuggets for boys £8.50 last about a month
Wagg for girls £11.00 for large bag last about 2 months

Treats and extras about £5.00 per month.

Toys and beds coseys etc i wouldnt like to guess how much that costs.

Vet bills vary this week alone Chocolate has cost £75.00.

Looks a lot but they are worth itx)

N'awww! They sound so well looked after! <3 I think the most I've had to pay Vet bill wise is about £30 *touch wood*...My Guinea pig Leo had to have a Baytril injection in his back. :S

hi not sure what i spend a week but i spend £30 on hay which lasts about 10 weeks, £10-13 on food which last about 2 months. and then veggies varies each week but on average i spend between £7-£10 a week. i have 8 piggies though :)

bedding i use newspapers so that doesnt cost me anything.

hope that helps

Lasts 10 weeks? Holy crap! I just usually get the largest bale that lasts a week - (For bedding and for them to eat).

I have 6 piggies X3 I guess I'm a bit of a bargain hunter, but I think we all have to be these days! :(|)

I'm not sure how much it works out at per week as we buy in bulk like 15kg bags of wagg food and large bales of hay, the food i suppose we buy 2 - 3 times a year if that, the hay i suppose 4 - 5 times a year, we also buy the little packs of sawdust in bulk, like 10 at a time but they only cost 49p each and we buy the russell bedding staw which is about £4 a bag and i should think we easily go through 6 + of them a year, we give them ready grass as a treat which is £4 a bag and we use 2 of them a year.

With regards to fresh food, we always buy this from Lidl as its the cheapest place to but it 9 times out of 10 and we spend £10 - £15 a week on that.

Hi I currently have 11 pigies, about to go up to 15 as in the process of adopting a trio of girls.
£4.50 for bale of hay lasts about 2 weeks
£11.00 for 10kg bag of Wagg lasts about 2 weeks
newspapers, i never buy and are donated to me from my parents.
Veg about £3-4 a week but we eat loads of veg, praticularly on a Sunday with roast dinner and the pigs love the cauliflower and broccoli leaves and all the carrot and parsnip peelings and ends (my husband always finds it highly amusing when i buy the cauliflower with the most leaves)
A good tip also is if you are in the supermarket on a daily basis check out where the veg is being reduced to next to nothing, we have picked up spring greens for as little as 20p before now.

£4.40 a week on hay
2.00 every 2 weeks for dry food
about 8-12 a week on veg
dread to think how much the extras are lol

I don't spend a great amount tbh. The hay I get is £3.50 for a bale and that is for eating and bedding. A bale lasts about 2 months (2 pigs and 2 buns). I've bought a huge bag of burgess excel, think it was around £20. Bought it beginning of Feb and there is probably another 3 months supply left. Veggies I probably spend £3 a week, that doesn't seem much but my green grocer gives me freebies for the animals, stuff he would usually bin.

Unbelievably my boys have cost me £0 in vets bills in the 2 years I've had them! Hope I haven't jinxed myself now!

I'm not sure how much it works out at per week as we buy in bulk like 15kg bags of wagg food and large bales of hay, the food i suppose we buy 2 - 3 times a year if that, the hay i suppose 4 - 5 times a year, we also buy the little packs of sawdust in bulk, like 10 at a time but they only cost 49p each and we buy the russell bedding staw which is about £4 a bag and i should think we easily go through 6 + of them a year, we give them ready grass as a treat which is £4 a bag and we use 2 of them a year.

With regards to fresh food, we always buy this from Lidl as its the cheapest place to but it 9 times out of 10 and we spend £10 - £15 a week on that.

Oh wow, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me! Haha! :D I don't really use woodshavings anymore, as I have a large C&C cage now that's lined with correx/fleece. <3 I find that saves me a lot of money on hay!

I keep hearing about readygrass but I really haven't seen anything ANYWHERE. :S I usually just grab a pair of scissors and start cutting the grass in my garden. :))

Lasts 10 weeks? Holy crap! I just usually get the largest bale that lasts a week - (For bedding and for them to eat).

I have 6 piggies X3 I guess I'm a bit of a bargain hunter, but I think we all have to be these days! :(|)

i buy dust free hay which comes in 10 bags for £29.99 and i go through roughly a bag a week. :)

Forgot the megazorb but that's really for the buns. £10 ish every 2 months.

Hi I currently have 11 pigies, about to go up to 15 as in the process of adopting a trio of girls.
£4.50 for bale of hay lasts about 2 weeks
£11.00 for 10kg bag of Wagg lasts about 2 weeks
newspapers, i never buy and are donated to me from my parents.
Veg about £3-4 a week but we eat loads of veg, praticularly on a Sunday with roast dinner and the pigs love the cauliflower and broccoli leaves and all the carrot and parsnip peelings and ends (my husband always finds it highly amusing when i buy the cauliflower with the most leaves)
A good tip also is if you are in the supermarket on a daily basis check out where the veg is being reduced to next to nothing, we have picked up spring greens for as little as 20p before now.

How often do you give your piggies hay? I'm starting to worry that I give my piggies too much now. :S lol Yeah, I find that just getting veggies with just a regular 'human' shop is just really easy, because we can all share! :(|)

I'll make sure to have a look! I'm really picky about dates on food stuffs though...Haha! I always find that the out of date stuff is on sale so they can get rid. XD

£4.40 a week on hay
2.00 every 2 weeks for dry food
about 8-12 a week on veg
dread to think how much the extras are lol

LOL I know what you mean. XD When you see a nice toy or hammock to get the piggies it's hard not to run up the bill!

I don't spend a great amount tbh. The hay I get is £3.50 for a bale and that is for eating and bedding. A bale lasts about 2 months (2 pigs and 2 buns). I've bought a huge bag of burgess excel, think it was around £20. Bought it beginning of Feb and there is probably another 3 months supply left. Veggies I probably spend £3 a week, that doesn't seem much but my green grocer gives me freebies for the animals, stuff he would usually bin.

Unbelievably my boys have cost me £0 in vets bills in the 2 years I've had them! Hope I haven't jinxed myself now!

That sounds really good! X3 I'm glad to hear your guinea piggies are healthy, too! <3 The dry food I get my piggies usually goes fast as they constantly squeak at me coming up the stairs...You'd think I never feed them sometimes! :x

i buy dust free hay which comes in 10 bags for £29.99 and i go through roughly a bag a week. :)

Oooh! That's a good deal! When my other half is free from work, I sometimes get 6 bales for £17.50, which isn't too bad. <3 But when we do that we have to shift the spare bags into the shed. @)

thats ok the spare bags i keep at my mum and dad's on my old bedroom lol x

also ive not added in the reduced bags of veg i often get from tescos. I'm deluding myself its not that much. oh well.

Oh goodness!

I buy Orchard Grass Hay £65 lasts roughly 3 months between 6.
Large bag of Cavy Cuisine £13 (3 months)
Veggies £10 per week.
Timothy or Meadow hay £16 12.5kg
Treat Hays £15 (3 months)

Above is a small breakdown of things I buy every month or every 3 months. They do get cosies etx and that's not including there GG shampoo's, mite treatments etc.

Vet Bills that's anyones guess Fred was £80 this week.

I've never had pets that were so expensive!

I bought hay in bulk, 6 bags for £8 something, 1 bag has lasted over a month as its just for eating not sleeping.
I buy there Wagg food when its on offer, usually works out to £1.35ish a bag and thats lasts a while.
Veg costs around £3-4 a week.
So overall not that much really, I tend to buy whatever veg is reduced or on offer and stock up on dry food/hay when its cheaper.

I probably don't want to work this out but guesstimate:

£15 per week on fresh food ( follow the ratewatchers diet for them )
£25 per month on hay
£20 on burgess nuggets ( huge bag ) lasts about 3 month for the main group
£5.50 on burgess blackcurrant and oregano pellets for woody per month
£2.50 on Wagg food for Max per month

So averages out at £104.67 per month on food

Vet bills is a minimum of £20 per month on medication alone, this month we've spent £45.40 so far and I've got another trip there on Saturday

Then there's extras like houses, treats etc so they may be small things but they don't come cheap! This isn't helped by the fact Woody and Max are fussy and won't eat the same as the rest!

This is for four piggies (2 cages):

Sawdust - a big bag I bought in December is still going! That cost £10. (I use this for my two hamsters as well so you can see how big it was!)

Hay - £2.00 per week

Food - I bought a massive bag of the P@H nuggets the same week as the sawdust and it's also still going (baring in mind they get a refill at night as well as in the morning so yeah they are well fed hehe)

Treats - This varies but I buy them something pretty much every week.

Veggies: Hmm I'm not sure I never actually look for fear of fainting :)) It just comes with my food shopping.

I have two boars, who have a:
Double hutch and shed to themselves
Housed on vetbed
Hay tray x1
Litter Tray x2

Initial Set up Costs:
5ft Double Hutch, second hand £50
Shed £120
Lighting, Insulation and Tiling £50
VetBed x4 spares £50

Monthly Breakdown
£15 worth of hay (one bag - well i say bag i should say huge bale that just to say fits in my shed of normal medow hay £6, last me a fornight and then herbage i sprinkle on top)
£4.50 Excel Nuggets
£8 on Veggies!

Four Months:
£5 on sawdust

^Gosh thats a scarey amount of money lol, that doesnt even include their toys, vet bills, run etc :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back