• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pet shop pig :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
On Saturday I went in my local pet shop and they had one pig. They usually cost about £10 or £15 in there but the only pig they had had a notice up by it saying 'Approx 5 month old pig - £5'. I'm worried because it looked a bit unwell. It was sitting in its house v still and looked like it had a scab on its nose or something.

Anyone know what should be done to help? I'm going to go back at lunchtime to see if its still there. So tempting to get him/her but I know I shouldn't and in any case, I don't have room. I might ask them about him/her to see what is the matter.

So sad :(

ask them if they have had a vet look at the poor pig if not then say it is law to be able to sell animals that they have vetinearian treatment if ill, if you dont you could lose your licence, I had this a week ago where a little pig was dying, I reported them to my vet who in turn have reported them to the RSPCA and they will be following it up, make sure the little mite is ok, if you get no where then to be honest i would say give him to me and I will get it treatment, if you cannot keep it then take it to a rescue, my concence would'nt be able to leave it I felt so bad about the baby pig that I knew would be dead by the time I got it to the vet.

[colorr]Saly thr is vry chanc that this littl pig is in no mor of a horribl situation thn hunrs mor in pt shops up an own th country. H's probably sitting in his hous bcaus h is bor an lonly. It's not unusual for som pt shops to sll off olr piggis chaply or vn giv thm away ::)
Th scab souns as though it coul b chilitis, but just gussing.

I can unrstan your upst, an ys, thr is a chanc that h is ill.

Th cision is yours alon Sarah, but my avic woul b if you ci to gt him out.

Try an scur a plac for this boy with a local rscu bfor you think sriously about taking him from th shop, as you say you hav no room to tak him yourslf. If you i tak him, it woul b vry important that h is quarantin an chck by a vt asap.

If h can b "rlas" [colorr]plas on't buy him, vn at th ruc rat, I won't go ovr why as you hav no oubt ra rcnt iscussions about pt shops >:(

What ara is h in? Mayb somon involv in rscu from th boar can hlp?

Kp us upat,
Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
He is in Cirencester, Gloucestershire. I will go and take another look at lunchtime.

Thanks for your quick advice

Sarah

Good luck!

Pet shops like this make me >:(

:-X :-X :-X

I went in and the poor little pig was still there. Not as bad as I thought though, thank goodness.

You were right, Barbara - he's just cheap because he's 5 months old and noone wants him. As for the patch on his nose, he apparently knocked it on the cage and they've checked it out and he's fine and the hair is growing back. She was very insistent that there was nothing wrong with him.

So I feel better, even though he still looks so sad and lonely in there :(

Thats how I ended up with DB and Moz, they were sat in seporate pens looking rather sad. I caved in and paid the £5 each for them and now there both happy healthy piggies :)

sarahp said:
I went in and the poor little pig was still there. Not as bad as I thought though, thank goodness.

You were right, Barbara - he's just cheap because he's 5 months old and noone wants him. As for the patch on his nose, he apparently knocked it on the cage and they've checked it out and he's fine and the hair is growing back. She was very insistent that there was nothing wrong with him.

So I feel better, even though he still looks so sad and lonely in there :(

It's great that you have followed this up. It's really hard isn't it, but you've done the right thing by walking away and sometimes that takes a lot of strength and the ability to see the biger picture...

Barbara

Yes it is v hard :'( although I feel better for having asked about him.

At the end of the day, there are loads of pigs out there like him but I can't take them all home because I wouldn't be able to look after them properly :(

I've already arranged to take in a little unwanted boy in a few weeks time so I'll be happy knowing that I can at least give him a good home. (As well as the two completely spoilt pigs that I have already :))

Thanks for your messages

Sarah x

:'(

No one wants the little piggy. That breaks my heart.
But I guess you have to be realistic about capacity to care and maybe the pet shop will get more little piggies in soon.

Like you said, there are 100's like him up and down the country and we cant take them all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back